3rd IFIP SWWS 2007, Call for papers

Claudia d'Amato

We apologize if you received multiple copies of this Call for Papers

Please feel free to distribute it to those who might be interested

*** Preliminary CALL FOR PAPERS ***

Third International IFIP Workshop on Semantic Web & Web Semantics

(IFIP SWWS 2007)

In conjunction with OnTheMove Federated Conferences (OTM '07)

http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/fedconf

Albufeira, Portugal 25 -  30, Nov 2007.

Proceedings will be published by Springer LNCS

MOTIVATION

The IFIP Working Group 2.12 & 12.4 on Semantic Web (http://www.ceebi.curtin.edu.au/IFIP/) is a
timely active international community of scientists, engineers, and practitioners dedicated to
advancing the state of the art of research and practice in the emerging field of Semantic Web, and
meanwhile providing input and guidance on the direction, scope, and importance of different aspects
of artificial intelligence, data modelling, and software theory and practice to Web semantics. It is
unique in that it targets to synthesize the concepts from these diverse fields in a comprehensive
fashion in the context of the semantics Web.

The Web has now been in existence for quite some time and its pervasive in its influence on all
aspects of society and commerce. It has also produced a major shift in our thinking on the nature
and scope of information processing. However in its technological nature and its supporting
theoretical foundations, it has remained relatively rudimentary, being currently largely suitable
for information dissemination. It is rapidly moving away from this, to application deployment and
knowledge deployment that require complex interactions and properly structured underlying semantics.
This has been a sudden upsurge of research activity in the problems associated with adding semantics
to the Web. This work on semantics will involve data, knowledge, and process semantics. The 3rd IFIP
SWWS '07 will provide a forum for presenting original, unpublished research results, and innovative
ideas related to this voluminous quantity of research.

In SWWS 2007, as a complementary to the main OTM '07 conference themes, special focus is aimed at
looking some of the evolving areas of interest for the Semantic Web, namely Security & Trust,
Biomedical Informatics, Fuzzy Semantics and Context-driven Methods for Ontologies. Thus, as part of
SWWS 2007, there are four special tracks on;

1. Security & Trust,

2. Fuzzy Semantics

3. Biomedical Informatics

4. Context-driven Methods for Ontologies.

Trust and Reputation are assuming an increasing importance in interaction and commerce over the web.
There are several trust and Reputation Systems (albeit simple) increasingly finding development by
major development by major internet companies such as Amazon, eBay and Epinion. Also, there is a
growing intend in using an attention formulation for web semantics based on Fuzzy set, models and
protoforms.

Conversely, ontologies are now adopted to represent semantic metadata and to characterize different
kind of information resources. Current reasoning techniques still lack of context-dependent tools to
enhance the sifting of ontology instances, e.g., techniques to organize resources at different
levels of abstraction and to assess their similarity. This track encourages the discussion on
context-dependent instruments tailored to improve the browsing and search of semantics annotated
resources, taking advantage from the semantics embedded in ontologies.

The intention of the SWWS '07 is to bring together a community of researchers and practitioners who
will provide a collection of work that is of utmost importance to the advancement of the web
semantics and its future, reviewed by the top experts and minds in the field, in an area of the
utmost importance to business, IT and industry.

WHOM SHOULD ATTEND

The workshop is intended for researchers, academic, practitioners, IFIP workgroup WG 2.12/12.4
members and organizations who are actively involved in present and upcoming semantic web
technologies. Moreover, the workshop concepts covered is a good reference point for academic and
industrial researchers who want to familiarize themselves with emerging trends in semantic web
research, technologies and applications.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Topics of interest may include one or more of the following (but are not limited to) themes;

Security & Trust

Fuzzy Semantics

Biomedical Informatics

Context-driven Methods for Ontologies

The following topics related to these themes including, but are not limited to:

" Formal and practical knowledge representation and inference for the semantic Web

" Design, evaluation, and use of ontology

" Metadata and knowledge markup

" Knowledge Sharing

" Interoperability of data and Web services

" Semantics of agent and Web interaction

" Automated extraction of Information from regulatory documents.

" Content-based information and knowledge retrieval

" Information extraction, automatic, and semi-automatic generation of metadata

" Database technologies for the Semantic Web

" Multimodality and visualization technologies for the Semantic Web

" Applications on mobile devices

" Human centred aspects specifically for the Semantic Web

" Impact of Semantic Web computing on organizations and society

" Evaluation of the quality of Web semantics

" Semantics for ubiquitous computing

" Engineering of regulatory ontologies: conceptual analysis, representation, modularization and
layering, reusability,evolution and dynamics, etc;

" Multilingual and terminological aspects of regulatory ontologies;

" Models of legal reasoning (from ontological viewpoint): regulatory compliance, case-based
reasoning, reasoning with uncertainty, etc.

" Sensitivity on and harmonization of regulations;

" Regulatory metadata and content standardization (e.g. legal-XML/LeXML, ADR/ODR-XML,...);

" Regulatory ontologies of: property rights, persons and organizations, legal procedures, contracts,
legal causality, etc;

" Task models for socially regulated activities;

" Experiences with projects and applications involving regulatory ontologies in legal knowledge
based systems, legal information retrieval, e-governments, e-commerce;

" Providing semantics for the web using Fuzzy set methods

" Fuzzy models for the Semantic Web

" Protoforms

" Security and trust for the Semantic Web

" Reputation Systems for the Semantic Web

" Biomedical Ontologies for Genetics, Proteomics, Diseases, Privacy etc.

" Conceptual Models for Biological and Medical Data

" Semantics in Biological Data Modeling

" Use of semantics to manage Interoperation in Biomedical Databases

" Semantic Web technologies and formalisms for Biomedical Data

" Ontology representation and exchange languages for Bioinformatics

" Support of Ontologies for Biological Information Retrieval and Web Services

" Change Management in Biomedical Ontologies

" Tools for Development and Management of Biomedical Ontologies

" Context-driven methods for ontology exploitation

        Semantic similarity among ontology instances

        Semantic granularity

        Semantic ranking

" Context-driven methods in specialized domains, e.g.:

        Context-driven methods for geographical information resources

        Context-driven methods for Multidimensional Media

        Context-driven methods for Digital Library

" Context-awareness for the Semantic Web

" Ontology views

" Human centred aspects in sifting information resources w.r.t. context

        Context representation

        Context elicitation

        Context visualization

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

All submitted papers will be carefully evaluated based on originality, significance, technical
soundness, clarity of expression, and relevance to IFIP WG 2.12 & WG 12.4. All submissions must be
in English, and will be refereed by a program committee comprising members of the Working Group.
Research submissions must not exceed 10 pages following the Springer format. Submissions should be
made in PDF format. Detailed formatting instructions can be found at:

http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html

The final proceedings will be published by Springer Verlag as LNCS (pending approval). Failure to
commit to presentation at the conference automatically excludes a paper from the proceedings.

ORGANISATION COMMITTEE

Program Co-Chairs

John Mylopoulos ([hidden email])

Bahen Centre for Information Technology, University of Toronto, Canada.

Elizabeth Chang ([hidden email])

Curtin University of Technology, Australia

Workshop Vice-Chairs

Ernesto Damiani ([hidden email])

Computer Science Department, Milan University, Italy

Yoke Sure ([hidden email])

Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, Germany

Special Track Chairs

" Security & Trust - Elizabeth Chang

" Fuzzy Semantics - Ernesto Damiani

" Biomedical Informatics - Amandeep Sidhu

" Context-driven Methods for Ontologies - Riccardo Albertoni, Elena Camossi

Publicity Chair

Rajugan Rajagopalapillai ([hidden email])

DEBII, Curtin University of Technology, Australia.

IFIP WG 2.12/12.4 Chair

Tharam S. Dillon ([hidden email])

University of Technology Sydney, Australia.

IMPORTANT DATES

Abstract Submission Deadline June 25, 2007

Paper Submission Deadline July 1, 2007

Acceptance Notification August 25, 2007

CR Version Due September 10, 2007

Registration Due September 10, 2007

OTM Conferences and workshops Nov 25 - 30, 2007

Program Committee (not complete)

*Aldo Gangemi (Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology, Italian National Research Council,
Italy)
*Amandeep Sidhu (DEBII, Curtin University of Technology, Australia)
*Amit Sheth (Large Scale Distributed Information Systems Lab, Department of Computer Science,
University of Georgia, USA)
*Angela Schwering (Institute of Cognitive Science, University of Osnabrück, Germany)
*Avigdor Gal (Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel)
*Carlos Sierra (Spanish National Research Council, Spain)
*Carole Goble (Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester, UK)
*Chris Bussler (Oracle Corp., USA)
*Claudia d'Amato (Department of Computer Science, University of Bari, Italy)
*David Bell (Queen's University, Belfast)
*Elena Camossi (CNR-IMATI-GE, Italy)
*Elisa Bertino (CERCS Department of Purdue University, USA)
*Elizabeth Chang (Curtin University of Technology, Australia)
*Ernesto Damiani (Computer Science Department, Milan University, Italy)
*Farookh Hussain (Curtin University of Technology, Australia)
*Feng Ling (Department of Computer Science & Technology, Tsinghua University, China)
*Frank van Harmelen (Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands)
*Grigoris Antoniou (University of Crete, Greece)
*Hai Zhuge (Institute of Computing, Chinese Academy of Science, China)
*Jaiwei Han (Department of Computer Science, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana,
Illinois, USA)
*John Debenham (University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), Australia)
*John Mylopoulos (University of Toronto, Canada)
*Katia Sycara (Laboratory for Agents Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
*Krzysztof Janowicz (Institute for Geoinformatics Universitity of Münster, Germany)
*Kokou Yetongnon (Universite de Bourgogne, France)
*Kyu-Young Whang (Computer Science Department, KAIST)
*Ling Liu (Center for Experimental Computer Systems Research (CERCS) College of Computing, Atlanta,
USA)
*Lizhu Zhou (Department of Computer Science and Technology at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China)
*Lotfi Zadeh (Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing, USA)
*Manfred Hauswirth (DERI, Galway, Ireland)
*Maria Andrea Rodríguez-Tastets (Departamento de Ingeniería Informática y Ciencias de la
Computación, Universidad de Concepción, Chile)
*Masood Nikvesh (The Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing, USA)
*Mihaela Ulieru (The University of New Brunswick, Canada)
*Mohand-Said Hacid (University Claude Bernard Lyon 1 LIRIS  Villeurbanne, France)
*Monica De Martino (IMATI-CNR, Italy)
*Mukesh Mohania (Database Technologies, IBM India Research Lab, India)
*Mustafa Jarrar (STARLab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel,Belgium.)
*Neda Laurac ()
*Nicola Guarino (Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies of the Italian National Research
Council (ISTC-CNR))
*Paolo Ceravolo (University of Milan, Italy)
*Peter Spyns (Semantics Technology and Applications Research Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
*Pieree Yves (Schobbens Institut dé Informatique, University of Namur, Belgium)
*Pilar Herrero Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
*Qing Li (Dept of Computer Eng. and Information Technology, City University of Hong Kong) *Rajugan
Rajagopalapillai (DEBII, Curtin University of Technology, Australia)
*Ramasamy Uthurusamy (General Motors Corporation.)
*Riccardo Albertoni (CNR-IMATI-GE, Italy)
*Robert Meersman (Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
*Robert Tolksdorf (FU, Berlin, Germany)
*Stefan Decker (University of Southern California, USA)
*Susan Urban (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Arizona State University Tempe, USA)
*Tharam Dillon (University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), Australia)
*Usuama Fayed (Strategic Data Solutions Group, Yahoo, USA)
*Wil van der Aalst (Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands)
*York Sure (Institute AIFB (University of Karlsruhe), Germany)
*Zahir Tari (School of Computer Science & IT, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia)

IFIP-SWWS2007_CFP.pdf (100K) Download Attachment
claudia.damato.vcf (356 bytes) Download Attachment

Ontoclean

Vbertaud
Hello,

I hope it is the right place to ask about Ontoclean.....

I am using Ontoclean metaproperties in order to validate my PROTEGE OWL ontology.

When trying to check the constraints in the Protege PALConstraints Tab, I get:

Validation Errors:
Predicate named supplying_identity is referenced but not defined.
Predicate named carrying_identity is referenced but not defined.

Does anybody know what it means and what I shall do?

Thanks in advance

Valerie

Re: Ontoclean

samsontu

At least in the Protege Frame version of Ontoclean, the names of the
slots are 'supplying identity' and 'carrying identity', not
'supplying_identity' and 'carrying_identity'. Verify that the names of
the slot/predicate referenced in the PAL constraint is consistent with
names of slots in your Protege ontology.

Samson

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope it is the right place to ask about Ontoclean.....
>
> I am using Ontoclean metaproperties in order to validate my PROTEGE OWL
> ontology.
>
> When trying to check the constraints in the Protege PALConstraints Tab,
> I get:
>
> Validation Errors:
> Predicate named supplying_identity is referenced but not defined.
> Predicate named carrying_identity is referenced but not defined.
>
> Does anybody know what it means and what I shall do?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Valerie

Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Extracting and modifying forms information via the Protégé API

Schultz, Ron
Are there any API methods that allows one to extract and modify the forms information associated with a class. Are the forms themselves classes? Is there a parser available to extract the forms information? Just wondering if I could automate the creation of forms programmatically.

Ron Schultz

[This message contains confidential and proprietary information of the sender, and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original message without making a copy.]

Re: Extracting and modifying forms information via the Protégé API

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
We have some documentation on the Web site about using forms
programmatically:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/using_forms_in_other_applications.html

Jennifer