A simple User interface for an ontology

Flor
Hi,

How can we make the user interface for an ontology without programming (Java)?
Is it possible?

Thanks.

Re: A simple User interface for an ontology

Timothy Redmond
On 05/20/2011 04:32 AM, Flor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can we make the user interface for an ontology without programming
> (Java)?
> Is it possible?

Here I am not sure what you are asking.  First of all there are many
existing interfaces for editing ontologies.  The Protege toolset
includes three such tools: Protege 3, Protege 4 and Web-Protege.  But
there are others as well.

The other possibility is that you are saying Protege is too complicated
for people without ontology experience.  We are trying to address this
issue right now.  The idea is that as we move forward, WebProtege will
become extremely easy to use.  It may not be able to edit every single
ontology construct but it will allow domain experts (who are not
ontologists) to enter their knowledge without being aware of the
ontology underneath.

Finally you might be asking about customization of a user interface.  To
different degrees all the Protege tools have this capability.  In
Web-Protege there are some configuration files that define the user
interface.  These files can be modified from the ui by placing the
desired components where you want them.  In Protege 3, the forms
capability gives you some ability to change how individuals and classes
are displayed.  In Protege 4 you can drag and drop views into a tab to
change how it is configured and once configured you can share that
configuration with other people.

-Timothy

> Thanks.

Re: A simple User interface for an ontology

Flor
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry, I have not explained well. I had already created my ontology with Protegé, but now I want to know if it is possible to create an interface to end users without programming.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Re: A simple User interface for an ontology

Thomas Russ

On May 21, 2011, at 1:34 AM, Flor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> Sorry, I have not explained well. I had already created my ontology with
> Protegé, but now I want to know if it is possible to create an interface to
> end users without programming.

What do you want the end users to be able to do with the ontology?

If you just want them to be able to view it, there are several OWL browser tools you could use.  Or they could just use Protégé to look at the ontology.