AW: SPARQL and Protégé and Performance

Klaus Schaefers

Hi

>Protege 3.2beta allows you to use SPARQL to query your ontology. Look in
>the "OWL" menu and your see an "open SPARQL query".

>I think it only allows you to query the explicit model and not the inferred
>model...Nick/Matthew can you clarify that?

Yes it inferred... The SPARQL panel is disabled if it is a database
ontology. Therefore I will have to use an normal file ontology. Could anyone
tell me something about the performance of a file based solution in contrast
the database one? Is it significant slower?

Thanks,

Klaus

Re: [protege-owl] AW: SPARQL and Protégé and Performance

Matthew Horridge
> Hi Klaus,

>> Protege 3.2beta allows you to use SPARQL to query your ontology.
>> Look in
>> the "OWL" menu and your see an "open SPARQL query".
>
>> I think it only allows you to query the explicit model and not the
>> inferred
>> model...Nick/Matthew can you clarify that?
>
> Yes it inferred... The SPARQL panel is disabled if it is a database
> ontology. Therefore I will have to use an normal file ontology.
> Could anyone
> tell me something about the performance of a file based solution in
> contrast
> the database one? Is it significant slower?

It will take more time to load, but then it should be faster than the
database for navigating/browsing the ontology.  You will also need to
make sure that you have enough memory (increase the maximum heap size
in the Java Virtual Machine if necessary).