About SWRL

12

About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Hi All

Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.

How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".

If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the Polar_Orbit class to take greater or less value in it's hasInclination property?

Please reply me.

Re: About SWRL

Martin O'Connor

hasInclination(?x, ?i) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?i, 90) -> Polar_Orbit(?x)

It would be good to define what ?x is though.

Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab

Martin

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>
> How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
> is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>
> If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the /Polar_Orbit/
> class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/ property?
>
> Please reply me.

Re: About SWRL

Thomas Russ

On May 22, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Khadija Tahera wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>
> How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination is
> equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".

For an exact value, you can use the hasValue restriction from OWL.
You only need to use SWRL if you want a comparison.  (Well, that or
use OWL 2.0 when that becomes available).

I presume the hasInclination property is Functional.

> If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the Polar_Orbit
> class to take greater or less value in it's hasInclination property?

Re: About SWRL

Matthew Horridge

On 22 May 2008, at 22:25, Thomas Russ wrote:

> On May 22, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Khadija Tahera wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>>
>> How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination is
>> equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>
> For an exact value, you can use the hasValue restriction from OWL.
> You only need to use SWRL if you want a comparison.  (Well, that or
> use OWL 2.0 when that becomes available).

It's already available - take a look at Protege 4.   :)

> I presume the hasInclination property is Functional.
>
>> If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the Polar_Orbit
>> class to take greater or less value in it's hasInclination property?

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Hi All

Thank you all for help.

I tried the hasValue restriction for equal value. Now I want to restrict using less or greater value.

I wrote this rule:

hasInclination(?x, ?y)  ^ swrlb:lessThan(?y, 90.0) → Prograde_orbit(?x) , and

 I want any individual of Prograde_orbit class will not take more than 90.0 in it's hasInclination property.  hasInclination  is a functional property.

The above rule is not implementing the restriction. How can I do that?

May be I have any misunderstanding.

I am not really comfortable with Protege 4.

Please reply me.

On 5/22/08, Thomas Russ <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 22, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Khadija Tahera wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>
> How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination is
> equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".

For an exact value, you can use the hasValue restriction from OWL.
You only need to use SWRL if you want a comparison.  (Well, that or
use OWL 2.0 when that becomes available).

I presume the hasInclination property is Functional.

> If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the Polar_Orbit
> class to take greater or less value in it's hasInclination property?

Re: About SWRL

Martin O'Connor
SWRL is a rule language, not a restriction language. This rule, for
example, will classify an OWL individual as a Prograde_orbit if it has
an hasInclination property value of less than 90.0. It does not restrict
the value to be less than 90.0. OWL 2.0 may allow you to do this.

Martin

On May 23, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Martin O'Connor wrote:

> SWRL is a rule language, not a restriction language. This rule, for
> example, will classify an OWL individual as a Prograde_orbit if it has
> an hasInclination property value of less than 90.0. It does not
> restrict
> the value to be less than 90.0. OWL 2.0 may allow you to do this.

What about also adding the following rule with an empty consequent?

  Prograde_orbit(?x) ^  hasInclination(?x, ?y) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?y,
90.0) →

Won't that produce an inconsistency if violated?

> Martin
>
> Khadija Tahera wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>> Thank you all for help.
>> I tried the hasValue restriction for equal value. Now I want to
>> restrict using less or greater value.
>> I wrote this rule:
>> hasInclination(?x, ?y) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?y, 90.0) →
>> Prograde_orbit(?x)
>> , and
>> I want any individual of /Prograde_orbit/ class will not take more
>> than 90.0 in it's /hasInclination/ property. /hasInclination/ is a
>> functional property.
>> The above rule is not implementing the restriction. How can I do
>> that?
>> May be I have any misunderstanding.
>> I am not really comfortable with Protege 4.
>> Please reply me.

Re: About SWRL

Martin O'Connor

It will. I guess I'd like to think of that type of rule as expressing a
constraint rather than a restriction but I suppose that distinction does
not make a lot of sense in OWL.

Martin

Thomas Russ wrote:

>On May 23, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Martin O'Connor wrote:
>

>>SWRL is a rule language, not a restriction language. This rule, for
>>example, will classify an OWL individual as a Prograde_orbit if it has
>>an hasInclination property value of less than 90.0. It does not
>>restrict
>>the value to be less than 90.0. OWL 2.0 may allow you to do this.
>>

>What about also adding the following rule with an empty consequent?
>
>  Prograde_orbit(?x) ^  hasInclination(?x, ?y) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?y,
>90.0) →
>
>Won't that produce an inconsistency if violated?
>

>>Martin
>>
>>Khadija Tahera wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All
>>>Thank you all for help.
>>>I tried the hasValue restriction for equal value. Now I want to
>>>restrict using less or greater value.
>>>I wrote this rule:
>>>hasInclination(?x, ?y) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?y, 90.0) →
>>>Prograde_orbit(?x)
>>>, and
>>>I want any individual of /Prograde_orbit/ class will not take more
>>>than 90.0 in it's /hasInclination/ property. /hasInclination/ is a
>>>functional property.
>>>The above rule is not implementing the restriction. How can I do
>>>that?
>>>May be I have any misunderstanding.
>>>I am not really comfortable with Protege 4.
>>>Please reply me.

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Dear All

How to write rule " if  0 < Inclination < 90, then prograde orbit" ?

THanking you

Bely

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>
> How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
> is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>
> If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the /Polar_Orbit/
> class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/ property?
>
> Please reply me.

Re: About SWRL

Martin O'Connor
hasInclination(?x, ?i) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?i, 0) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?i,
90) -> Prograde_Orbit(?x)

Martin

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> Dear All
>
> How to write rule " if  0 < Inclination < 90, then prograde orbit" ?
>
> THanking you
>
> Bely
>

> On 5/22/08, *Martin O'Connor* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     hasInclination(?x, ?i) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?i, 90) -> Polar_Orbit(?x)
>
>     It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>
>     Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>
>     Martin
>
>     Khadija Tahera wrote:
>
>     > Hi All
>     >
>     > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     >
>     > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     > is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     >
>     > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the /Polar_Orbit/
>     > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/
>     property?
>     >
>     > Please reply me.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >
>     >_______________________________________________
>     >protege-owl mailing list
>     >[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>     >
>     >Instructions for unsubscribing:
>     http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03
>     >
>     >

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Thanks a lot

does mathematical build-ins (swrlm) works in protege 3.3.1?

bely

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> Dear All
>
> How to write rule " if  0 < Inclination < 90, then prograde orbit" ?
>
> THanking you
>
> Bely
>

> On 5/22/08, *Martin O'Connor* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     hasInclination(?x, ?i) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?i, 90) -> Polar_Orbit(?x)
>
>     It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>
>     Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>
>     Martin
>
>     Khadija Tahera wrote:
>
>     > Hi All
>     >
>     > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     >
>     > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     > is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     >
>     > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the /Polar_Orbit/
>     > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/
>     property?
>     >
>     > Please reply me.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >
>     >_______________________________________________
>     >protege-owl mailing list
>     >[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>     >
>     >Instructions for unsubscribing:
>     http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03
>     >
>     >

Re: About SWRL

Martin O'Connor

I don't think the swrlm built-in library was available in 3.3.1. I would
stick with the latest beta if you intend to use SWRL. There have been
many enhancements and bug fixes since that release. There will be a
production 3.4 release in a month or two.

Martin

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> [...]
>     >     It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>     >
>     >     Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     >     http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>     >
>     >     Martin
>     >
>     >     Khadija Tahera wrote:
>     >
>     >     > Hi All
>     >     >
>     >     > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     >     >
>     >     > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     >     > is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     >     >
>     >     > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the
>     /Polar_Orbit/
>     >     > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
thanks a lot

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> [...]
>     >     It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>     >
>     >     Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     >     http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>     >
>     >     Martin
>     >
>     >     Khadija Tahera wrote:
>     >
>     >     > Hi All
>     >     >
>     >     > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     >     >
>     >     > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     >     > is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     >     >
>     >     > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the
>     /Polar_Orbit/
>     >     > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Hi Martin

I am writing a rule

"Common_Input_parameters_for_Mission(?x)  ∧  has_Earths_Gravity_constant(?x, ?g)  ∧  hasAltitude(?x, ?a)  ∧  swrlm:eval(?v, " (g /a) ", ?g, ?a) → hasVelocity(?x, ?v)"

the rule produceing the result but when I want to transfer result from Jess to OWL then I am getting the following error.

Exception exporting knowledge to OWL: edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.DatatypeConversionException: cannot convert value of type 'java.lang.Float' to String

All the properties here float type.

Please help me.

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> [...]
>     >     It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>     >
>     >     Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     >     http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>     >
>     >     Martin
>     >
>     >     Khadija Tahera wrote:
>     >
>     >     > Hi All
>     >     >
>     >     > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     >     >
>     >     > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     >     > is  equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     >     >
>     >     > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the
>     /Polar_Orbit/
>     >     > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/

Problem with the Sql server driver with Build 500

Alan March
Hi all

I've tried to create a database backend ontology using the new Protege build
500 and it fails to complete the process with this message

2008.06.05 10:47:17.703 CDT INFO:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Implicit conversion from
data type nvarchar to varbinary is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to
run this query.

The error log is of course much longer but I guess the above mentioned is
the main problem.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

I'm using SQL Server 2005 with the latest JDBC driver form Microsoft

Many thanks

Re: About SWRL

Martin O'Connor

Which version of Protege-OWL are you using. There was a type handling
bug in earlier 3.4 betas that is fixed in the current beta.

Martin

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> [...]
>     > > It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>     > >
>     > > Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     > > http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>     > >
>     > > Martin
>     > >
>     > > Khadija Tahera wrote:
>     > >
>     > > > Hi All
>     > > >
>     > > > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     > > >
>     > > > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     > > > is equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     > > >
>     > > > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the
>     > /Polar_Orbit/
>     > > > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Thanks a lot

it's working now.

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> [...]
>     > > It would be good to define what ?x is though.
>     > >
>     > > Full documentation for the SWRLTab can be found here:
>     > > http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab
>     > >
>     > > Martin
>     > >
>     > > Khadija Tahera wrote:
>     > >
>     > > > Hi All
>     > > >
>     > > > Few basic questions about the SWRL Tab.
>     > > >
>     > > > How can I write a rule for this statement "If the inclination
>     > > > is equal to 90 deg, then it is a Polar orbit ".
>     > > >
>     > > > If I wrote the rule will it be able to restrict the
>     > /Polar_Orbit/
>     > > > class to take greater or less value in it's /hasInclination/

Re: About SWRL

Khadija Tahera
Hi All

one object has maximum moment of inertia axis, minimum moment of inertia axis and intermediate moment of inertia axis. Now the object will be aligned with another coordinate system that is with x axis, y axis and z axis.

 maximum moment of inertia, minimum moment of inertia and intermediate moment of inertia can align with any of the axis but all will be different axis.

how can I model that?

hasMinimum_MomentOf_Inertia_Align_with(?x, ?y)  ∧
hasIntermediate_Moment_Of_Inertia_Align_with(?x, ?z)  ∧
hasMaximum_Moment_Of_Inertia_Align_with(?x, ?a)
  → differentFrom(?y, ?z)  ∧
differentFrom(?y, ?a)  ∧
differentFrom(?a, ?z)

Thanking you

Khadija Tahera wrote:

> [...]
>     > > >
>     > > >
>     > >
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     > > >
>     > > >_______________________________________________
>     > > >protege-owl mailing list
>     > > >[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     > > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>     > > ><a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl" target="_blank">https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl

Re: Problem with the Sql server driver with Build 500

Timothy Redmond

There is a new release out with a fix for this bug.  We have changed the table format and the nightly junits are passing.

-Timothy

[1] http://protege.stanford.edu/download/prerelease/full/

On Jun 5, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Alan March wrote:
Hi all

I've tried to create a database backend ontology using the new Protege build
500 and it fails to complete the process with this message

2008.06.05 10:47:17.703 CDT INFO:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Implicit conversion from
data type nvarchar to varbinary is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to
run this query.

The error log is of course much longer but I guess the above mentioned is
the main problem.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

I'm using SQL Server 2005 with the latest JDBC driver form Microsoft

Many thanks

Re: Problem with the Sql server driver with Build 500

Alan March

Timothy:

Many thanks. I downloaded the new build early this morning and it works perfectly!

Just a comment: sqlite JDBC drivers don’t seem to work when trying to use sqlite as a backend. I feel it would probably be worth the effort to provide this possibility. As ontologies grow bigger, using the database backend seems to become a must. As designed for protégé, the database backend seems to emulate the graph structure of an OWL document in a perfect way and provides some very convenient additional functionalities for those of us wanting to use certain parts of the ontology directly from the database in a read-only manner (ie: the class hierarchy, or the annotation properties for example). Allowing for the use of sqlite as a backend would probably be an asset for those of us working in this manner: the database itself if cross-platform, sqlite’s memory footprint is extremely small and allows us to do away with the overhead databases such as MySql or SQL Server imply, etc. The only drawback, of course, is that sqlite, as designed, is not intended to be multiuser, but then again, I feel a many of us work in a single-user manner when building/editing an ontology.

Hope it can be done. And again, many thanks to the Protégé team for giving us and supporting such a great tool.

Alan