Adding SWRL to Protege 5.2.0 and invoke Built-In functionality

Adding SWRL to Protege 5.2.0 and invoke Built-In functionality

bsc ranjan
Hi,

I am running Windows 10 machine in which I am running the Protege.exe file from the folder "C:\......\Downloads\Protege-5.2.0-win\Protege-5.2.0". I am using Protege 5.2.0 with SWRLTab Protege5.0+ Plugin 2.0.5 (which uses Plugin registry from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/protegeproject/autoupdate/master/update-info/5.0.0/plugins.repository.)

I was trying to learn the use of SWRL from the website: https://dior.ics.muni.cz/~makub/owl/, from the SWRL rules section onwards. I tried to use the owl file provided at http://acrab.ics.muni.cz/ontologies/swrl_tutorial.owl. This resulted in SWRL tab non-functional with blank gui. I deleted the entire " Protege-5.2.0-win" folder and restarted from the beginning, updated all the plugins and created the ontology manually. However, I could not add the rules specified in the webpage and two rules which i could add did not function as expected.

I tried by selecting both pellet and pellet(incremental) reasoners and clicking "Start Reasoner" but these steps did not help. I am not sure if i need to check anything else to find out why "swrlb:" functions are not working.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Ranjan

Re: Adding SWRL to Protege 5.2.0 and invoke Built-In functionality

Martin O'Connor-2

I get the following error from the SWRLTab when opening this ontology:

org.swrlapi.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineException: Error creating query engine Drools. Exception: org.swrlapi.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineException. Message: error exporting knowledge to rule engine: data range atoms not implemented in rule head

The SWRLAPI does not support rules with data range atoms in a rule head (something I've never actually seen in use before).

I am not sure if Pellet support this feature.

You should open the Protege console and see if Pellet throws errors when processing this ontology.

Martin

On May 30, 2018, at 10:04 PM, bsc ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

When i used the owl file from this link http://acrab.ics.muni.cz/ontologies/swrl_tutorial.owl, SWRL Tab in Protege 5.2.0 stopped working. Hence, I created the owl file manually and tried to write the rules myself.

"The SWRLAPI does not support rules with data range atoms in a rule head (something I've never actually seen in use before)."  --> Can you please inform me if you mean this is wrongly written? Is there any other alternative to write such kinds of rules?

Another thing is I wanted to learn how to add rules using Protege Rules tab or SWRl tab. Hence, I tried to use the file in the link above.

I just want to use the features available within Protege to build the ontology and add rules using either Rules tab or SWRL Tab [which also involve (i) mathematical formula involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc., (ii) conditions].

Can you please inform me why 'swrlb:' and similar builtin functionalities are not getting recognized while adding the rules? And how i can resolve the same to add the rules?

Thanks for the response and Regards,
Ranjan

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 12:38 PM, bsc ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

When i used the owl file from this link http://acrab.ics.muni.cz/ontologies/swrl_tutorial.owl, SWRL Tab in Protege 5.2.0 stopped working. Hence, I created the owl file manually and tried to write the rules myself.

"The SWRLAPI does not support rules with data range atoms in a rule head (something I've never actually seen in use before)."  --> Can you please inform me if you mean "the rule/s" is/are wrongly written? Is there any other alternative to write such kinds of rules?

[...]

The rule is correctly written. The SWRLAPI does not support data range atoms. However, Pellet might.

I just want to use the features available within Protege to build the ontology and add rules using either Rules tab or SWRL Tab [which also involve (i) mathematical formula involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc., (ii) conditions].

The SWRLTab plugin is documented here:

There is a mathematical built-in library that is documented here:

Can you please inform me why 'swrlb:' and similar builtin functionalities are not getting recognized while adding the rules? And how i can resolve the same to add the rules?

In the SWRLTab plugin almost all of the core SWRL built-ins are supported:

A SWRL language introduction can be found here:

Martin

Re: Adding SWRL to Protege 5.2.0 and invoke Built-In functionality

bsc ranjan
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the kind replies. I found that I can construct the "swrlb:" or "swrlex:" rules only in SWRL tab and not in Rules tab in Protege.

Regards,
Ranjan
PhD Student