Allreferences will be removed

OntoBLW
Hi,
Please I want to check why Protégé throws dialog window when we want to remove some entity:
is that for ensuring non violation of syntactic rules of  OWL 2 language stated in the W3C?
or is its explained by other rules? what is it?
here are attached some examples of windows.
Thx for your answers.

Re: Allreferences will be removed

It’s just a confirmation dialog to explain to the user what is happening and to make sure they actually want to perform the operation.

> On 27 Mar 2015, at 17:05, OntoBLW <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Please I want to check why Protégé throws dialog window when we want to
> remove some entity:
> is that for ensuring non violation of syntactic rules of  OWL 2 language
> stated in the W3C?
> or is its explained by other rules? what is it?
> here are attached some examples of windows.
> Thx for your answers.
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662549/removing_entities_1.png>
>
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662549/removing_entities_2.png>

Re: Allreferences will be removed

OntoBLW
Hi,
but sometimes, it asks whether if want only to delete a class or the class with its asserted descendants?
Why the choice of these strategies?
Is this following a syntactic rule.
I see it as following a rule: axioms must reference already declared (existing) entities? is it true?
thx

Re: Allreferences will be removed

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi,

These are just UI dialogs:

a) When you try to delete a class X which has subclasses: Protégé asks you if you want to remove the subclasses of X as well as X, or just X alone.
b) When you try to delete a class X which has no subclasses: Protégé just asks you to confirm whether you really want to delete X.

Sidenote: if you want to verify violations to the syntactic constraints imposed in OWL 2 (DL) ontologies, then you should use a profile validator. The OWL API provides validators for all OWL 2 profiles.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 15:56, OntoBLW <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> but sometimes, it asks whether if want only to delete a class or the class
> with its asserted descendants?
> Why the choice of these strategies?
> Is this following a syntactic rule.
> I see it as following a rule: axioms must reference already declared
> (existing) entities? is it true?
> thx

Re: Allreferences will be removed

Simon Spero-2

Should there be a "were you sure option?"

Simon