Annotation vs. Datatype Property

miriamricher
Is there a rule of thumb for deciding whether a property ought to be an
annotation vs. a datatype? I'm just getting started with Dublin Core, and
it's unclear to me what the consequences are for property assignment of DC
property terms. The W3C OWL primer asserts that "Annotation properties are
used to encode information about (parts of) the ontology itself (like the
author and creation date of an axiom) instead of the domain of interest",
yet it seems that many people use DC exclusively as annotation properties,
possibly for interoperability reasons. I am having some trouble reconciling
modelling in the knowledge representation sense vs. modeling for anticipated
applications.

--
Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-Developer-f4659816.html

Re: Annotation vs. Datatype Property

Lorenz Buehmann
Annotations properties are not taken into account when you want to apply
OWL reasoning. That's the most important difference.