Applications?

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema-2

L.S.,

We've just begun a group on Semantic Web at our site and
we're wondering: What kind of applications/application domains
should we think of in the domain of Semantic Web and ontologies?

We're searching applications for Sem. Web., but we just can't
think of any real life things.

Any ideas?

--
ir. Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema,

Re: Applications?

Fen Labalme-2

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:
> We've just begun a group on Semantic Web at our site and
> we're wondering: What kind of applications/application domains
> should we think of in the domain of Semantic Web and ontologies?
>
> We're searching applications for Sem. Web., but we just can't
> think of any real life things.

Faceted search, for one.

I'm working with a small, 100% F/OSS online services
company<http://civicactions.com/> that has a contract to create a
faceted search facility for non-profit artist communities across the
country.  For example, if a San Francisco artist was looking for a
performance space in Chicago, she could use this to find a performance
space seating 500-1000 with sound amplification and other "facets".
Data will initially be statically imported from an initial set of 4-6
participating organizations, but is expected to grow to many more feeds
- probably via an XML-RPC interface - in the foreseeable future.

We're using Protege, RAP (RDF for PHP) and ARC as basic technology
infrastructure, and will deliver the site integrated into the Drupal
CMS.  We'll be contributing 100% of our code back too the community
licensed as either GPL or AGPL.

Oh, and by the way, we're open to having others help us with this
project.  :)

=Fen