Asking for help regarding Protege _5.0_beta version.

Asking for help regarding Protege _5.0_beta version.

Sarker Moumita
Hello Everybody. I am using Protege_5.0_Beta version for my MSc. Thesis. But right now I am facing a problem. I can not find any Built in datatype for date and time seperately. I have found dateTime datatype. But I need to use two seperate data types for date and time. Is there any way to add new datatype on Protege tool? I need your help. Thank you for reading my email with patience.

- With Best Regards
Moumita Sarker
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Re: Asking for help regarding Protege _5.0_beta version.

Michael DeBellis-2
Moumita, there is a powerful model of time built into SWRL:  https://github.com/protegeproject/swrlapi/wiki/ModellingTime   Also, look here for how you can do various manipulations such as finding durations, etc.   https://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/#8.5

I would be surprised if there was something you needed to do that couldn't be handled by that model. There is also another re-usable ontology for time here: http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/vocabs/time

I think there is a way to define new datatypes but I've never done it. Whenever I've thought about defining a new datatype, I realized I could just define a class instead and that would do what I needed and more. The main reason for defining a new datatype rather than a new class is performance, but if this work is for a Thesis my guess is that performance isn't that big of an issue.

Also, you probably know this but with xsd:dateTime you can just leave the time info to be all 0 and use it as a date.

Hope that helps.

Michael

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Sarker Moumita <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Everybody. I am using Protege_5.0_Beta version for my MSc. Thesis. But right now I am facing a problem. I can not find any Built in datatype for date and time seperately. I have found dateTime datatype. But I need to use two seperate data types for date and time. Is there any way to add new datatype on Protege tool? I need your help. Thank you for reading my email with patience.

- With Best Regards
Moumita Sarker
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Re: Asking for help regarding Protege _5.0_beta version.

Lorenz B.

Hello Everybody. I am using Protege_5.0_Beta version
Why are you using an old Beta version? Latest release is 5.2.0

Datatypes in the Protege editor are just the once supported as built-in datatypes in OWL 2 language.

On 30.12.2017 17:39, Sarker Moumita wrote:
Hello Everybody. I am using Protege_5.0_Beta version for my MSc. Thesis. But right now I am facing a problem. I can not find any Built in datatype for date and time seperately. I have found dateTime datatype. But I need to use two seperate data types for date and time. Is there any way to add new datatype on Protege tool? I need your help. Thank you for reading my email with patience.

- With Best Regards
Moumita Sarker
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Re: Asking for help regarding Protege _5.0_beta version.

Michael DeBellis-2
I agree with Lorenz, much better to use the newest version. I didn't even catch that, the SWRL stuff won't work well in earlier versions. Also, if you do need to define new datatypes you might find this useful: https://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/#sec-userDefined

But as I said, if I were you I would first see if one of those existing models would work and if they didn't -- unless performance was an issue -- I would define a new class instead of a datatype. A class will do everything a datatype will do and it's trivial to define and it will also do a lot more than a datatype.

Michael