Assistance for new user with Protege 4.3

Assistance for new user with Protege 4.3

Klaus Neudecker
Hello,

inorder to lern protege, I am just working through the course 'A Practical Guide To Building OWL Ontologies
Using Protege 4 and CO-ODE Tools, Edition 1.3, Matthew Horridge, March 24, 2011'. This course is written for Protege 4.0. Yesterday evening there was a question 'Assistance for new user'. There, Don linked another course in his last E-Mail, which is unfortunately also for Protege 4.0.

As I (have to) use Protege version 4.3, I have problems now with the 'Description'-window under 'Classes':

In the 4.0 documentation there are the entries:
'Equivalent classes', 'Superclasses', 'Inherited anonymous classes', ...

In Protege 4.3 there are the entries:
'Equivalent To', 'Sub Class of', 'Sub Class Of (Anonymous Ancestor)',...

Ok, most often I can use 'Equivalent To' instead of 'Superclasses', but I have the feeling that they are not 100% equivalent.

Therefore, could someone please tell me,
- what the differences here between 4.0 and 4.3 are,
or where I can find
- a description of these changes or
- a description of the new entries.

Sincerely
Klaus Neudecker

Re: Assistance for new user with Protege 4.3

Steve Wartik

Klaus,

As I (have to) use Protege version 4.3, I have problems now with the 'Description'-window under 'Classes':

In the 4.0 documentation there are the entries:

'Equivalent classes', 'Superclasses', 'Inherited anonymous classes', ...

In Protege 4.3 there are the entries:

'Equivalent To', 'Sub Class of', 'Sub Class Of (Anonymous Ancestor)',...

Ok, most often I can use 'Equivalent To' instead of 'Superclasses', but I have the feeling that they are not 100% equivalent.

They are equivalent. “Inherited” was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words, as it comes from the object-oriented community and not from ontologies. A screenshot I saw used “Inferred” rather than “Inherited”, which may also be misleading: It can make you think the knowledge has been gained through reasoning. Whatever words you choose, the semantics are the same. The knowledge comes from an assertion made on a superclass.

Therefore, could someone please tell me,

- what the differences here between 4.0 and 4.3 are, or where I can find

- a description of these changes or

- a description of the new entries.

I’m not aware of a single document that provides a succinct statement of what you request, unfortunately. Try searching the pages in http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_Release_Notes.

Regards,