Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Flavio Lichtenstein
Hi Sarah,

   Attached a simple manual.

best regards
Flavio Lichtenstein

UNIFESP - SP Brazil

---------------------------
Sarah G wrote: ThanksFlavio for your response. No I am not registered on the UMLS site. Isthere a fee for using the UMLS and also, where would I go to registermy IP?

No, there is no fee for using the UMLS. Information about obtaining alicense is available on their website:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html

Jennifer

Login UMLS.pdf (488K) Download Attachment

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

S G-9
Is there any information in protege that will show me what the umls is suppose to do? I see the umls tab in protege and did sign up and put my ip address per the manual that was listed below. I typed in the word leg in the search word box and nothing happened in the umls tab in protege.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:14:27 -0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [protege-owl] Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP
>
> Hi Sarah,
>
> Attached a simple manual.
>
> best regards
> Flavio Lichtenstein
>
> UNIFESP - SP Brazil
>

> ---------------------------
> Sarah G wrote: ThanksFlavio for your response. No I am not registered on the UMLS site. Isthere a fee for using the UMLS and also, where would I go to registermy IP?
>
> No, there is no fee for using the UMLS. Information about obtaining alicense is available on their website:
>
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html
>
> Jennifer

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Sarah,

There is some documentation for UMLS Tab on the Protege wiki:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/UMLS_Tab#Documentation

If nothing happens when you search for a term, please check the Protege console window to see if there are any error messages and forward them to the list.

Jennifer

Sarah G wrote:
Is there any information in protege that will show me what the umls is suppose to do? I see the umls tab in protege and did sign up and put my ip address per the manual that was listed below. I typed in the word leg in the search word box and nothing happened in the umls tab in protege.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:14:27 -0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [protege-owl] Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP
>
> Hi Sarah,
>
> Attached a simple manual.
>
> best regards
> Flavio Lichtenstein
>
> UNIFESP - SP Brazil
>

> ---------------------------
> Sarah G wrote: ThanksFlavio for your response. No I am not registered on the UMLS site. Isthere a fee for using the UMLS and also, where would I go to registermy IP?
>
> No, there is no fee for using the UMLS. Information about obtaining alicense is available on their website:
>
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html
>
> Jennifer

Checking domains and ranges with SPARQL

Leyla Jael García Castro

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:54:47 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Sarah G wrote:
Is there any information in protege that will show me what the umls is suppose to do? I see the umls tab in protege and did sign up and put my ip address per the manual that was listed below. I typed in the word leg in the search word box and nothing happened in the umls tab in protege.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:14:27 -0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [protege-owl] Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP
>
> Hi Sarah,
>
> Attached a simple manual.
>
> best regards
> Flavio Lichtenstein
>
> UNIFESP - SP Brazil
>

> ---------------------------
> Sarah G wrote: ThanksFlavio for your response. No I am not registered on the UMLS site. Isthere a fee for using the UMLS and also, where would I go to registermy IP?
>
> No, there is no fee for using the UMLS. Information about obtaining alicense is available on their website:
>
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/umls.html
>
> Jennifer

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Alexandra Kokkinaki
I'm trying to connect to UMLS Protege tab, but no results are returned for any of the searches.
I have to note that I'm a UMLS  registered user, I have a license and my IP address is registered in my web profile and
I'm not behind a firewall. The version of Protege in lax file is 2008AA.
The error message I get is:

host: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov.

Has kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov changed? Or is any other problem?

Thank you

Alexandra Kokkinaki
PHD Student
Lab of medical Informatics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Alexandra,

I was able to reproduce the exception here.  The problem occurs when the UMLS tab tries to connect to the UMLSKS servers.  I've posted a message on their support list to find out why this might be happening.  I'll post a follow up message when I learn more.

Jennifer

Alexandra Kokkinaki wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to connect to UMLS Protege tab, but no results are returned for any of the searches.
I have to note that I'm a UMLS  registered user, I have a license and my IP address is registered in my web profile and
I'm not behind a firewall. The version of Protege in lax file is 2008AA.
The error message I get is:

host: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov.

Has kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov changed? Or is any other problem?

Thank you

Alexandra Kokkinaki
PHD Student
Lab of medical Informatics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Alexandra Kokkinaki
Hello Jennifer,
The connection problem has been repaired. Now I can connect to UMLSKS server.

Thank you very much

Alexandra

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Alexandra,

I was able to reproduce the exception here.  The problem occurs when the UMLS tab tries to connect to the UMLSKS servers.  I've posted a message on their support list to find out why this might be happening.  I'll post a follow up message when I learn more.

Jennifer

Alexandra Kokkinaki wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to connect to UMLS Protege tab, but no results are returned for any of the searches.
I have to note that I'm a UMLS  registered user, I have a license and my IP address is registered in my web profile and
I'm not behind a firewall. The version of Protege in lax file is 2008AA.
The error message I get is:

host: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov.

Has kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov changed? Or is any other problem?

Thank you

Alexandra Kokkinaki
PHD Student
Lab of medical Informatics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Alexandra,

I spoke with the UMLSKS developers and they told me that they stopped supporting the RMI interface to their servers several months ago.  This means that the UMLS Tab will probably not work reliably now.  In order to fix this issue, we would have to rewrite the code in the UMLS tab that uses the RMI interface to use their new Web Services interface instead.  We will put this on the list of things to do, but I don't have an exact date when we might be able to complete this by.

Jennifer

Alexandra Kokkinaki wrote:
Hello Jennifer,
The connection problem has been repaired. Now I can connect to UMLSKS server.

Thank you very much

Alexandra

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Alexandra,

I was able to reproduce the exception here.  The problem occurs when the UMLS tab tries to connect to the UMLSKS servers.  I've posted a message on their support list to find out why this might be happening.  I'll post a follow up message when I learn more.

Jennifer

Alexandra Kokkinaki wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to connect to UMLS Protege tab, but no results are returned for any of the searches.
I have to note that I'm a UMLS  registered user, I have a license and my IP address is registered in my web profile and
I'm not behind a firewall. The version of Protege in lax file is 2008AA.
The error message I get is:

host: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov.

Has kssapp6.nlm.nih.gov changed? Or is any other problem?

Thank you

Alexandra Kokkinaki
PHD Student
Lab of medical Informatics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Madani,Sina

Jennifer,

Are you aware of any plan for adding UMLS concepts to Bioportal? I found the Protégé Bioportal widget very convenient (except that is not available in P4!) for pointing to a reference terminology and storing some of the values in your local ontology. This widget could potentially be a good substitute (maybe partially in some use cases) for UMLS tab

Sina

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Sina,

Yes, there are plans to add UMLS terminologies to Bioportal.  SNOMED and MeSH are already there.  If you need statuses on other terminologies, you could ask on the BioPortal mailing list ([hidden email]) [1].

Best,
Jennifer

[1] http://bioportal.bioontology.org/feedback

Madani,Sina wrote:

Jennifer,

Are you aware of any plan for adding UMLS concepts to Bioportal? I found the Protégé Bioportal widget very convenient (except that is not available in P4!) for pointing to a reference terminology and storing some of the values in your local ontology. This widget could potentially be a good substitute (maybe partially in some use cases) for UMLS tab

Sina

Re: Attached a simple manual - UMLS Login, register, profile and IP

Alexandra Kokkinaki
Hello Jennifer,
thank you for your interest. I'm using their Web Service Interface through Java. But the convenience that is provided by importing parts of UMLS class hierarchy in user ontology is really helpful!

Alexandra

Alexandra Kokkinaki wrote:
Hello Jennifer,
The connection problem has been repaired. Now I can connect to UMLSKS server.

Thank you very much

Alexandra

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Alexandra,

I was able to reproduce the exception here.  The problem occurs when the UMLS tab tries to connect to the UMLSKS servers.  I've posted a message on their support list to find out why this might be happening.  I'll post a follow up message when I learn more.

Jennifer

Hello,