Avoiding the Unique Name Assumption and allowing non ASCII characters in instances

Avoiding the Unique Name Assumption and allowing non ASCII characters in instances

Olivier Biot
Hello,

I am designing a small ontology that will be used to create a dynamic
knowledge base. This knowledge base will have instances that share the
same name. In addition, those concept descriptions may have characters
that are invalid in URIs (e.g., parentheses, punctuation, accented
letters...).

Ideally I wouldn't have to care about the actual RDF ID of the
instances (the URI fragment), and I could probably use "rdfs:label"
entry to store the data. Is this a good approach? If so, where can I
find details about configuring Protégé 3.4.1 to support this?

Best regards,

Olivier

Re: Avoiding the Unique Name Assumption and allowing non ASCII characters in instances

Thomas Russ

On Jan 7, 2010, at 5:43 AM, Olivier Biot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am designing a small ontology that will be used to create a dynamic
> knowledge base. This knowledge base will have instances that share the
> same name. In addition, those concept descriptions may have characters
> that are invalid in URIs (e.g., parentheses, punctuation, accented
> letters...).
>
> Ideally I wouldn't have to care about the actual RDF ID of the
> instances (the URI fragment), and I could probably use "rdfs:label"
> entry to store the data. Is this a good approach? If so, where can I
> find details about configuring Protégé 3.4.1 to support this?

Sounds like a reasonable approach.  A number of large ontology
projects like OBO, OBI and GO use a method like that.

Using a label for the names is probably a lot easier than having to
escape the names to make them URI compatible.

It's not clear what support you need from Protege for this.  Perhaps
the only thing would be to configure the display of the classes and
instances to use the label slot rather than the name?

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Thomas Russ wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2010, at 5:43 AM, Olivier Biot wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am designing a small ontology that will be used to create a dynamic
>> knowledge base. This knowledge base will have instances that share the
>> same name. In addition, those concept descriptions may have characters
>> that are invalid in URIs (e.g., parentheses, punctuation, accented
>> letters...).
>>
>> Ideally I wouldn't have to care about the actual RDF ID of the
>> instances (the URI fragment), and I could probably use "rdfs:label"
>> entry to store the data. Is this a good approach? If so, where can I
>> find details about configuring Protégé 3.4.1 to support this?
>
> Sounds like a reasonable approach.  A number of large ontology projects like
> OBO, OBI and GO use a method like that.

This is really good news to me.

> Using a label for the names is probably a lot easier than having to escape
> the names to make them URI compatible.
>
> It's not clear what support you need from Protege for this.  Perhaps the
> only thing would be to configure the display of the classes and instances to
> use the label slot rather than the name?

What I want to know, is how to set up Protégé to display the
"rdfs:label" instead of the URI. Also, how do I enable this for a
given ontology?

Best regards,

Olivier

Re: Avoiding the Unique Name Assumption and allowing non ASCII characters in instances

Olivier Dameron
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:53:06 +0100
Olivier Biot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I want to know, is how to set up Protégé to display the
> "rdfs:label" instead of the URI. Also, how do I enable this for a
> given ontology?

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/HidingIdentifiers

cheers
olivier