BIO and FOAF ontologies import error

Jean-Baptiste
Hello,
I created in Protégé 5.5.0 the  prelib.owl
<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/t376178/prelib.owl>
ontology, where I imported the  BIO <http://vocab.org/bio/>   and  FOAF
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>   ontologies. When I re-open the .owl file in
Protégé, I have got many errors in the console. Are those messages caused by
the imported ontologies themselves or did I something wrong ?

-------------------------------
Imported ontology document http://vocab.org/bio/schema.rdf was not resolved
to any documents defined in the ontology catalog.
Notice: root element does not have an xml:base. Relative IRIs will be
resolved against http://vocab.org/bio/schema.rdf
Usage of rdf vocabulary: http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/olb ->
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type ->
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
Unparsed triple: http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/termgroup4 ->
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#_4 ->
http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/officiator
Finished loading imported ontology at http://vocab.org/bio/schema.rdf
Imported ontology document http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ was not resolved to
any documents defined in the ontology catalog.
Notice: root element does not have an xml:base. Relative IRIs will be
resolved against http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/aimChatID in punning not allowed [ObjectProperty:
aimChatID, DataProperty: aimChatID]
Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/icqChatID in punning not allowed [ObjectProperty:
icqChatID, DataProperty: icqChatID]
Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/jabberID in punning not allowed [ObjectProperty:
jabberID, DataProperty: jabberID]
Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox_sha1sum in punning not allowed [DataProperty:
mbox_sha1sum, ObjectProperty: mbox_sha1sum]
Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/yahooChatID in punning not allowed
[ObjectProperty: yahooChatID, DataProperty: yahooChatID]
Annotation property range axiom turned to data property range after parsing.
This could introduce errors if the original range was an anonymous
expression: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal is the new domain.
Annotation property domain axiom turned to data property domain after
parsing. This could introduce errors if the original domain was an anonymous
expression: http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing is the new domain.
Finished loading imported ontology at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1//

Re: BIO and FOAF ontologies import error

Lorenz Buehmann
Well,

you can't do anything, the FOAF ontology is just rubbish...

For example,

foaf:aimChatID has range rdfs:Literal, thus, it's supposed to be a data
property. At the same time, they declared it as inverse-functional which
is only valid for object properties in OWL 2. That means, the property
will be data property and object property at the same time, which isn't
allowed in OWL 2 DL (only in OWL Full)

You could contact the FOAF guys, but I'm pretty sure they are aware of
it and just live with it and don't care about OWL semantics ... just my
two cents.

On 10.09.19 16:06, Jean-Baptiste wrote:

> Hello,
> I created in Protégé 5.5.0 the  prelib.owl
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/t376178/prelib.owl>
> ontology, where I imported the  BIO <http://vocab.org/bio/>   and  FOAF
> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>   ontologies. When I re-open the .owl file in
> Protégé, I have got many errors in the console. Are those messages caused by
> the imported ontologies themselves or did I something wrong ?
> Thanks,

> -------------------------------
> Imported ontology document http://vocab.org/bio/schema.rdf was not resolved
> to any documents defined in the ontology catalog.
> Notice: root element does not have an xml:base. Relative IRIs will be
> resolved against http://vocab.org/bio/schema.rdf
> Usage of rdf vocabulary: http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/olb ->
> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type ->
> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
> Unparsed triple: http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/termgroup4 ->
> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#_4 ->
> http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/officiator
> Finished loading imported ontology at http://vocab.org/bio/schema.rdf
> Imported ontology document http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ was not resolved to
> any documents defined in the ontology catalog.
> Notice: root element does not have an xml:base. Relative IRIs will be
> resolved against http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/aimChatID in punning not allowed [ObjectProperty:
> aimChatID, DataProperty: aimChatID]
> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/icqChatID in punning not allowed [ObjectProperty:
> icqChatID, DataProperty: icqChatID]
> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/jabberID in punning not allowed [ObjectProperty:
> jabberID, DataProperty: jabberID]
> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox_sha1sum in punning not allowed [DataProperty:
> mbox_sha1sum, ObjectProperty: mbox_sha1sum]
> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/yahooChatID in punning not allowed
> [ObjectProperty: yahooChatID, DataProperty: yahooChatID]
> Annotation property range axiom turned to data property range after parsing.
> This could introduce errors if the original range was an anonymous
> expression: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal is the new domain.
> Annotation property domain axiom turned to data property domain after
> parsing. This could introduce errors if the original domain was an anonymous
> expression: http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing is the new domain.
> Finished loading imported ontology at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1//

Re: BIO and FOAF ontologies import error

Lorenz Buehmann
I forgot to remember, last year we got a very helpful and clear
explanation from Dan Brickley, the priciple FOAF maintainer:

> Yes, this is the problem. Protege is checking our schemas from an OWL
> DL perspective. FOAF predates OWL; we were an early adopter of the
> precursor DAML+OIL vocabulary, but the basic approach is that of RDF +
> RDFS. You can probably think of it as OWL Full if that helps. A lot of
> those properties are of purely historical interest these days anyway,
> AIM is long gone. FOAF was created when the Web was young, and data
> was generally self-published by technologically literate users. The
> world has changed substantially, and I'd suggest just dropping the IFP
> claims on these data-valued properties.
>
> Dan
>
> (FOAF ns maintainer)

So,

a) you have to live with it and can't use the original FOAF document in
Protege or

b) have to modify it or

c) even more simple don't import it but use the URIs only - this would
at least don't prevent you from using Protege.

Who knows, maybe there will be an updated and cleaned version of FOAF at
some point in time - who knows. I mean, most of the entities are old,
e.g. ICQ and AIM are more or less dead, right?

Cheers,

On 11.09.19 08:57, Lorenz Buehmann wrote:

> [...]
>> mbox_sha1sum, ObjectProperty: mbox_sha1sum]
>> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
>> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/yahooChatID in punning not allowed
>> [ObjectProperty: yahooChatID, DataProperty: yahooChatID]
>> Annotation property range axiom turned to data property range after parsing.
>> This could introduce errors if the original range was an anonymous
>> expression: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal is the new domain.
>> Annotation property domain axiom turned to data property domain after
>> parsing. This could introduce errors if the original domain was an anonymous
>> expression: http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing is the new domain.
>> Finished loading imported ontology at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1//
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-User-f4659818.html

Re: BIO and FOAF ontologies import error

Dan Brickley-2

We will likely clean out those obsolete service-specific properties at some point. AIM is long obsolete.

Dan

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 15:57, Lorenz Buehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox_sha1sum in punning not allowed [DataProperty:
> mbox_sha1sum, ObjectProperty: mbox_sha1sum]
> Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/yahooChatID in punning not allowed
> [ObjectProperty: yahooChatID, DataProperty: yahooChatID]
> Annotation property range axiom turned to data property range after parsing.
> This could introduce errors if the original range was an anonymous
> expression: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal is the new domain.
> Annotation property domain axiom turned to data property domain after
> parsing. This could introduce errors if the original domain was an anonymous
> expression: http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing is the new domain.
> Finished loading imported ontology at http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1//

Re: BIO and FOAF ontologies import error

Thank you for your answers.

Lorenz, do you mean by don't import it but use the URIs only - this would at least don't prevent you from using Protege to simply declare the foaf and bio in the Ontology Prefixes panel ?

Thanks,

Le 11/09/2019 à 09:03, Lorenz Buehmann a écrit :
[...]

Jean-Baptiste Pressac

Conception, traitement et analyse de bases de données
Production et diffusion de corpus numériques

Centre de Recherche Bretonne et Celtique
Unité mixte de service (UMS) 3554
Bureau C310
20 rue Duquesne
CS 93837
29238 Brest cedex 3

tel : +33 (0)2 98 01 68 95
fax : +33 (0)2 98 01 63 93

Re: BIO and FOAF ontologies import error

Ghislain ATEMEZING
I guess it means something like this (in Turtle syntax)
(one possible usage of foaf for metadata and/or subclassing of an ontology without using owl:imports. )

@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .

<http://myton/uri/here> a owl:Ontology ;

      dct:title "my vocab title"@en ;
      dct:creator [ a foaf:Person ;
                    foaf:name "my full name" ;
                    foaf:homepage <http://mywesite/url/homepage>]
                  ;
     .

  ex:myClass a owl:Class;
     rdfs:subClassOf foaf:Person;
     rdfs:comment "My own view of a class subclassing foaf person"@en ;
    .

#my2cents.
HTH

Best,
Ghislain

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM Jean-Baptiste Pressac <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

[...]

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none" (W. Shakespeare)