Badly behaving Listener

Andreas Harth
Hi,

I get the error message attached with [1] on a Debian Linux
machine.  I have found via Google, however, I cannot access the
relevant issue in the tracker (I presume the issue is #1642 [3]).

Is there any way to figure out what's going on?  I'd like to
use Protege in a practical exercise for teaching.

Cheers,
Andreas.

[1]
http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.3/zip/protege-4.3.0-304.zip
[2]
https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/download/trackeritem/4247/1642/second-console-output.txt
[3]
https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/protege/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=1642

protege-exception.txt (23K) Download Attachment

Re: Badly behaving Listener

Timothy Redmond
On 02/18/2014 09:26 AM, Andreas Harth wrote:
Hi,

I get the error message attached with [1] on a Debian Linux
machine.  I have found via Google, however, I cannot access the
relevant issue in the tracker (I presume the issue is #1642 [3]).

Is this log a perfect match for your error message?  My suspicion is that it is approximate.  It would be good to see your logs where you had the error.  You can find these in the directory ~/.Protege/logs.  It will probably then be easy to diagnose.

These errors are usually not too serious - they indicate that some plugin did not clean itself up correctly.  Though for the log that you showed there might have been something else going on because there were a lot of error messages.

-Timothy.

On 02/18/2014 06:48 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:
> Is this log a perfect match for your error message?  My suspicion is
> that it is approximate.  It would be good to see your logs where you had
> the error.  You can find these in the directory ~/.Protege/logs.  It
> will probably then be easy to diagnose.

only the the first exception is roughly similar.

I'll have a look at ~/.Protege/logs when I have access to the machine
again.

It's a fresh install, first start.  I shall also try "$ sh run.sh"
again.

Cheers,
Andreas.

On 02/19/2014 01:46 AM, Andreas Harth wrote:
> On 02/18/2014 06:48 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:
>> Is this log a perfect match for your error message?  My suspicion is
>> that it is approximate.  It would be good to see your logs where you had
>> the error.  You can find these in the directory ~/.Protege/logs.  It
>> will probably then be easy to diagnose.
>
> only the the first exception is roughly similar.

there's also a pop-up complaining about problems with native libraries
used for Racer.

> I'll have a look at ~/.Protege/logs when I have access to the machine
> again.

I couldn't find the log file, possbily logging is not configured.

> It's a fresh install, first start.  I shall also try "$ sh run.sh"
> again.

Re-running "$ sh run.sh" doesn't help.

As it looks like a more involved issue (plus I don't have much time
left on the lecture, and no admin rights on the machines) I tend
towards trying again next semester.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Cheers,
Andreas.

Re: Badly behaving Listener

Timothy Redmond

> As it looks like a more involved issue (plus I don't have much time
> left on the lecture, and no admin rights on the machines) I tend
> towards trying again next semester.

Ok - sorry about that.

> there's also a pop-up complaining about problems with native libraries
> used for Racer.

This is not surprising.  It seems a bit tricky writing a non-java
executable and expecting it to run on an arbitrary linux system. In any
case this is a racer issue and the best course of action for resolving
it is to contact those developers.

But this also tells me that this installation has at least one plugin
beyond the standard plugins.  It is probably one of these plugins that
is causing the problem.  To diagnose the "badly behaving listener"
message, we would look at the first few lines under the "possible
culprit" message.  These would identify the plugin that was causing the
problem and, if we had the source code, would identify where the plugin
went wrong.

>> I'll have a look at ~/.Protege/logs when I have access to the machine
>> again.
>
> I couldn't find the log file, possbily logging is not configured.

This may mean that you have an older version and/or that the
administrator who installed Protege learned how to configure logging to
avoid problems with logging that the the older versions of Protege had.

-Timothy