Basic Spatial Inferences

Patrick McCrae – LangTec
Hi, All -

I am presently trying to model spatial relations in an ontology and am struggling with the defintion of a very basic is_in() relation. Somehow I am unable to obtain the expected transitive inference result:

Given that

A --is_in--> B

B --is_in--> C

I would have expected that any instances of C should also be in A. Therefore, I would have expected that all instances of C are also contained in the set defined by

is_in() exactly 1 A

Somehow, though, the reasoner does not want to give me this result ... I don't get the inference that the instance of C is also contained in this class.

Any pointers to where I am going wrong here would be much appreciate.

Thanks for your help and kind regards -

Pat McCrae

Re: Basic Spatial Inferences

Olivier Dameron
Hi Patrick,

On 03/19/2012 12:54 PM, Patrick McCrae – LangTec wrote:

> Somehow I am unable to obtain the expected transitive inference result:
>
> Given that
>
>     A --is_in--> B
>
>     B --is_in--> C
>

> I would have expected that any instances of C should also be in A.
???
If you represent the two lines above by:
A is_in some B
B is in some C
AND
if you make is_in a transitive relation, then the consequence should be
that all the instances of A are in some instance of C

> Therefore, I would have expected that all instances of C are also
> contained in the set defined by
>
>     is_in() exactly 1 A

The attached ontology returns what I believe you expect after
classification :-)

olivier

patrick.owl.gz (784 bytes) Download Attachment