Bottom up development to learn about a domain of interest

Bottom up development to learn about a domain of interest

Suman Beros
Are there any good example ontologies that were/are being developed primarily bottom up with the goal of better understanding and systematizing a domain of interest?  Are there any good write ups of challenges and lessons learned in the process of using that approach?

The domain I’m interested in deals with smartphones and other mobile devices.  Specifically, extracting, analyzing and presenting data recovered from mobile devices.  I have some level of understanding of the domain.  However, it is quickly evolving and widely sprawling domain.  I’m hoping that by capturing observations about individual devices in an ontology I could improve my understanding of the domain.

Thoughts, suggestions?  Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Suman

Suman Beros

Re: Bottom up development to learn about a domain of interest

Michael DeBellis-2
Suman, I don't have any examples for you but I wanted to point you to some search keywords that might help. Are you familiar with Agile Development (earlier known as Extreme Programming)?  What you are describing is very analogous to the way we do design of systems in Agile Development. Not that in Agile there is no concept of top down design, of course there is, but a guiding principal of Agile (which was very consistent with my personal experiences even before I drank the Agile kool-aid) is that the best designs emerge incrementally from the bottom up rather than trying to anticipate everything from the beginning, doing one top down design.

I've always thought that Agile was very compatible with developing ontologies. For example, the concept of Refactoring is a major one in Agile and common kinds of Refactoring of models is built in to the Protege environment. If you aren't familiar with Agile development you might find Kent Beck's book Extreme Programming Explained worth reading. It's very short and easy to read and a great introduction to the ideas.

I did a Google search for "agile methods semantic web ontology development" and found many papers that looked worth reading. Hope that helps.

Michael

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 1:31 PM sb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

cmboyd
Hi Suman,

You might consider investigating the Grounded Ontology method described by
Nabi and Assif which uses grounded theory, a bottom-up methodological
approach for developing theory from a specific domain.

You might first systematically identify a body of literature relevant to
your domain to narrow down the sources (extracting and analyzing recovered
data from mobile devices). Then use their approach to identify the themes
and concepts associated with the domain and incorporate into your ontology.

Nabi, S. I., & Asif, Z. (2014). Grounded ontology – a proposed methodology
for emergent ontology engineering. IBA Business Review, 9(2), 119–132.

Nabi, S. I., & Asfi, Z. (2015). Grounded ontology methodology – illustrating
the seed ontology creation. UK Academy for Information Systems Conference
Proceedings 2015, Spring 4-1-2015. UK Academy for Information Systems
Conference Proceedings 2015.

--Ceilyn