Bottom up development to learn about a domain of interest

Bottom up development to learn about a domain of interest

Suman Beros
Ceylin, thank you for taking the time to respond and thank you for your
suggestion.  I will have to take a closer look at Grounded Ontology
methodology.  It looks promising and like it'd be helpful to what I'm trying
to do.  I quickly skimmed " Grounded Ontology Methodology - Illustrating the
Seed Ontology Creation."  It seems to focus somewhat on text coding and
extracting knowledge from published research.  My initial focus was more on
recording personal observations, but the article is making me think about
that some more.  I look forward to learning more about GO.  Thank you for
your suggestion.

Best regards,
Suman

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 14:36:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: cmboyd <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [protege-user] Bottom up development to learn about a
        domain of interest

Hi Suman,

You might consider investigating the Grounded Ontology method described by
Nabi and Assif which uses grounded theory, a bottom-up methodological
approach for developing theory from a specific domain.

You might first systematically identify a body of literature relevant to
your domain to narrow down the sources (extracting and analyzing recovered
data from mobile devices). Then use their approach to identify the themes
and concepts associated with the domain and incorporate into your ontology.

Nabi, S. I., & Asif, Z. (2014). Grounded ontology ? a proposed methodology
for emergent ontology engineering. IBA Business Review, 9(2), 119?132.

Nabi, S. I., & Asfi, Z. (2015). Grounded ontology methodology ? illustrating
the seed ontology creation. UK Academy for Information Systems Conference
Proceedings 2015, Spring 4-1-2015. UK Academy for Information Systems
Conference Proceedings 2015.

--Ceilyn

--
Sent from: