Can I prevent 'Property Inheritance' in OWL?

Can I prevent 'Property Inheritance' in OWL?

Congmin min
Hi, I have a problem for your inputs. Thank you for advance!

As we know that, generally the primary relationships matained in an ontology
is ISA relationship between parent and child nodes, and each properties
associated with the Parent concept is automatically inherited to the Child
concept. But, now I don't want to allow some attributes of the parent
concepts to be propagated to the children node. For example:

Lots of people like dogs as pets.
John's lapdog is naughty.

From these two sentences, we can have a ISA relation:

dog
---->lapdog

And in the first sentence 'dog' can be assigned other attributes, e.g. an
attribute "isObjectOf", so we can have something like the following:
  dog isObjectOf someValuesFrom 'like'

Clearly, in describing the 'lapdog' in the second, the inheritance of the
'isObjectOf' is inappropriate.

One possible solution would be create instances of dog, and have 'lapdog' as
an instance of dog, then  the ISA relation is lost.

Does this make sense? Or Generally in OWL or Protege OWL, is there any
mechanism that can disallow some attributes associated with the Parent to be
transmitted into the Children?

Thanks for discussion!

Re: Can I prevent 'Property Inheritance' in OWL?

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Congmin,

We have a separate mailing list for OWL related questions.  Please
repost your question there.

Thank you,
Jennifer