Can I put range restrictions on Datatype Properties?

Can I put range restrictions on Datatype Properties?

Childers, Candace USA
Can I put range restrictions on Datatype Properties?

Is it possible to have a datatype property with range of int but to restrict the values to everything greater than 5? When I type speed  > 5 in the expression editor, Protégé converts that to a minCardinality of 5. I do not want to say a class has at least 5 speed properties, but I want to say the value of the speed property for a certain class is > 5. Is this type of restriction on datatype properties possible in OWL?

Candace Childers
Naval Postgraduate School

Re: Can I put range restrictions on Datatype Properties?

Hai Wang
Hi Candace,
The user defined datatype is not supported by current OWL. It will be
part of OWL 1.1. The good news is that Protege supported user defined
datatype.

Please find more information about Protege datatype support from
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/xsp.html.
You need to active the option by doing the following.
In OWL-> preferences->General->Protege features (between "reasoning"
and "language profile")
you will see two tick boxes: "Import Protege metadata ontology" and
"Support user-defined XML Schema datatypes". You need choose both.

Regards
Hai

On 27 Apr 2006, at 19:33, Childers, Candace USA wrote:

> Is it possible to have a datatype property with range of int but to
> restrict the values to everything greater than 5? When I type
> speed  > 5 in the expression editor, Protégé converts that to a
> minCardinality of 5. I do not want to say a class has at least 5
> speed properties, but I want to say the value of the speed property
> for a certain class is > 5. Is this type of restriction on datatype
> properties possible in OWL?
>
> Candace Childers
> Naval Postgraduate School

Re: Can I put range restrictions on Datatype Properties?

Candches5
Just wondering if anyone knew the reasoning behind this? Why doesn't OWL allow you to write class definitions that say speed < 5? Restrictions on datatype properties seems like a pretty natural restriction that could be important for modeling a lot of things. For example, in the Pizza Ontology you cannot say that the size of a MediumPizza is less than 12.

On 28 Apr 2006, at 01:33, [hidden email] wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knew the reasoning behind this? Why
> doesn't OWL allow you to write class definitions that say speed <
> 5? Restrictions on datatype properties seems like a pretty natural
> restriction that could be important for modeling a lot of things.
> For example, in the Pizza Ontology you cannot say that the size of
> a MediumPizza is less than 12.

At the time when OWL was design, it was not clear how to use XML
datatype within OWL. Issues like how to refer an XML schema user
defined datatype with a URI, the denotational semantic of the XML
data type etc. were not well studied.
You can refer to Jeff's PHD thesis for more information about this
problem.
http://dl-web.man.ac.uk/~panz/Zhilin/pubc.php?sort=paper&id=thesis

Today people more or less know how to solve this problem already. OWL
1.1 will support it.
Regards
Hai

Re: Can I put range restrictions on Datatype Properties?

Mark Feblowitz
Hai -

Would it be possible to extend the xsp ontology to include simpleType union types, e.g. (from XML Schema Part 0):
<xsd:simpleType
name="zipUnion">

  <xsd:union memberTypes="USState listOfMyIntType"/>
</xsd:simpleType>
What might it look like? Something like:

<owl:allValuesFrom>

<rdfs:Datatype>

<xsp:union/>

<xsp:memberType>USState</xsp:memberType>

<xsp:memberType>listOfMyIntType</xsp:memberType>

</rdfs:Datatype>

</owl:allValuesFrom>

Or, possibly more simply:

<owl:allValuesFrom>

<rdfs:Datatype>

<xsp:unionMemberType>USState</xsp:unionMemberType>

<xsp:unionMemberType>listOfMyIntType</xsp:unionMemberType>

</rdfs:Datatype>

</owl:allValuesFrom>

It seem that it would require code modifications to Protege-Owl. Is there a way to do it without code modifications?

Thanks,

Mark