Change Ontology IRI in Protege 5.0.0

fredjiang
Hi,

I just wondering what is the consequences of change ontology IRI in Protege 5.0.0?

Or what i want to know is what differences does it make when I change ontology IRI to an easier, memorable one? I will only have one ontology so I dont have the problem which I need to refer one class to two Ontologies.

Shall I keep it as default?

Cheers
Pingfei

Re: Change Ontology IRI in Protege 5.0.0

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Pingfei,

Changing the IRI would be a problem if, for example, the ontology were hosted at that IRI and other ontologies or software systems were dependent on its existence. Otherwise I see no problem with the change.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 07:37, fredjiang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just wondering what is the consequences of change ontology IRI in Protege
> 5.0.0?
>
> Or what i want to know is what differences does it make when I change
> ontology IRI to an easier, memorable one? I will only have one ontology so I
> dont have the problem which I need to refer one class to two Ontologies.
>
> Shall I keep it as default?
>
> Cheers
> Pingfei

Re: Change Ontology IRI in Protege 5.0.0

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
As Rafael said, there is no harm in changing your ontology IRI before it is published, or before there are other ontologies importing it. In fact it would be recommended that before publishing your ontologies you change the default ontology IRI created by Protege to something meaningful for your domain.

Also, when you change your ontology IRI (more specifically at the time you change the focus out of the "Ontology IRI" text field) you would be asked if you want to update the IRIs of the entities in your ontology that start with the old ontology IRI, to make them start with the new ontology IRI. In most situation this is something that you would want to do, so I would recommend clicking on "Yes" on this dialog:

The only case when you would not want to update the entity IRIs together with the ontology IRI would be if you have other ontologies, some software, or some data (such as resource annotations) already using the existing the IRIs of your ontology terms.

Csongor

On 09/06/2016 10:21 AM, Rafael Gonçalves wrote:
[...]

Hi Csongor,

I think your reply solved my concern.

Cheers