Check for Plugins

Michael DeBellis-2
I think there might be a minor  bug in check for plugins or that there is something wrong with my version. I'm running 5.5.0 on Windows 10 Professional.

I have Fact++, ELK, SHACL4Protege, Snap SPARQL, and other plugins installed. I thought that the installed plugins should be visible in the Current Version column. That the row for those plugins would have a value showing what version was installed but I don't see any values.

Michael

ProtegePlugins.jpeg

Re: Check for Plugins

samsontu
Hi Michael,

On May 21, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think there might be a minor  bug in check for plugins or that there is something wrong with my version. I'm running 5.5.0 on Windows 10 Professional.

I have Fact++, ELK, SHACL4Protege, Snap SPARQL, and other plugins installed. I thought that the installed plugins should be visible in the Current Version column. That the row for those plugins would have a value showing what version was installed but I don't see any values.

My understanding of Protege 5.5 "File/Check for Plugins” panel is that it shows the plugins that you haven’t installed and installed plugins for which there are newer versions. Protege/preferences/Plugins shows the plugins that you have installed and their versions. Can you double check whether you have FaCT++ & ELK reasoners and Snap SPARQL installed?

With best regards,
Samson

Re: Check for Plugins

Michael DeBellis-2
Samson,

I was wrong about Fact++, I don't have that installed,  but I checked and I have the Snap SPARQL Query, the Individual Hierarchy, Elk, SHACL Constraint Validator,  and Matrix plugins installed as you can see from the tabs in the window below that is a screen snapshot of my current version of Protege. I also included a snapshot of my File>Preferences>Plugins window.

I used the Snap SPARQL Query pane just the other day and a while back I used the SHACL constraint validator.

 FYI, the reason I'm asking is I'm working on an updated version of the Pizza tutorial and I want to explain to new users just what the Check for Plugins window means and it seemed confusing that there was nothing in the "Current version" for any of my plugins. My recollection of the way it worked in the past was that that column would have the current version of installed plugins which I would then compare to the Available Version next to it to make sure I had the latest version. I've noticed that for some time in my version of Protege that I don't see anything in the "Current version" fields but I only cared when I got to the part in the tutorial explaining what happens when you start Protege the first time and I wanted to make sure I was explaining it correctly.

If its working as it is supposed to then I just need to understand where my thinking is off so I can explain it properly.

If I understood what you said correctly, It sounds like perhaps that is the case and that it only shows different versions when there is a newer version of an installed plugin so I'm not seeing anything in that column because all my installed plugins are up to date. Is that correct?

ProtegePlugins.PNG

PreferencesPlugins.PNG

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 2:27 PM Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

My understanding of “Check for Plugins” menu item is that it is meant for checking plugins to install. So it has check boxes for you to select plugins to install. You see a listing of installed plugins at Preference/Plugins.

Your “Check for Plugins”/Automatic Update panel appears to be stale. The version of Snap SPARQL Query listed there is 4.2.0 while your installed version, as seen in the Preference/Plugs tab, is 6.0.0. You should open an issue on https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/issues. It appears that the “Check for Plugins”/Automatic Update panel is not checking the repository and your installed plugins properly.

With best regards,
Samson