Clickable URLs

Lila Molyva
Hi,
I have a question.Is there any way to create individuals that will be clickable URLs.There was a way to do that in protege frames through forms, but I converted my project to owl, and I can't figure that out.
Thank you
Lila

Re: Clickable URLs

Nick Drummond
Lila,

Yes you can. You need to follow these steps:

1) go to OWL->Preferences and tick "Allow creating of external resources
(untyped URIs)"
2) make sure you have an object property (annotation or otherwise) you
want to use to reference the external resources
3) when you add a new value for this (or other obj property) you can
select protege:ExternalResource as the type
4) this will pop up an editor (actually some bug causes this to appear
behind the main window - I'll try to fix this)
5) edit the name to point to a URL (pressing return forces the browser
underneath to update)
6) close the editor - your property value is now visible (and if you
double click it, the editor (with browser) will pop up

Can be useful for pointing to images on the web, for example.

Nick

PS When you enter a URL that cannot be resolved you currently get
exceptions - this is harmless but I'll sort it out.

--

Nick Drummond

Re: Clickable URLs

Scott L Holmes
Nick,

Is this different from: using the a datatype property with a range set to xsd:anyURI. Then in the form editor, change the widget to URL widget (for local stuff) or ExternalResourceURL Widget for web stuff? This seems to work rather well with very few exceptions that I noticed.

Scott

--

Nick Drummond

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Re: Clickable URLs

Nick Drummond
Scott,

This is a good point - the 2 are different.
Your solution is actually more likely to be what's wanted - the URL is
just a value (and can be rendered by the various URL widgets).
My solution creates an owl individual - so its possible to say
additional things about the resource you've selected (in the external
resource editor, you can add further properties by using the + button).
For example, you might want to say who the author of an article is, or
the date on which a photo was taken.

Cheers for your help.

Nick

Scott L Holmes wrote:

> Nick,
>
> Is this different from: using the a datatype property with a range set
> to xsd:anyURI. Then in the form editor, change the widget to URL
> widget (for local stuff) or ExternalResourceURL Widget for web stuff?
> This seems to work rather well with very few exceptions that I noticed.
>
> Scott
>

> On 3/16/06, *Nick Drummond* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Lila,
>
>     Yes you can. You need to follow these steps:
>
>     1) go to OWL->Preferences and tick "Allow creating of external
>     resources
>     (untyped URIs)"
>     2) make sure you have an object property (annotation or otherwise) you
>     want to use to reference the external resources
>     3) when you add a new value for this (or other obj property) you can
>     select protege:ExternalResource as the type
>     4) this will pop up an editor (actually some bug causes this to appear
>     behind the main window - I'll try to fix this)
>     5) edit the name to point to a URL (pressing return forces the
>     browser
>     underneath to update)
>     6) close the editor - your property value is now visible (and if you
>     double click it, the editor (with browser) will pop up
>
>     Can be useful for pointing to images on the web, for example.
>
>     Nick
>
>     PS When you enter a URL that cannot be resolved you currently get
>     exceptions - this is harmless but I'll sort it out.
>
>     Lila Molyva wrote:
>
>     > Hi,
>     > I have a question.Is there any way to create individuals that
>     > will be clickable URLs.There was a way to do that in protege frames
>     > through forms, but I converted my project to owl, and I can't figure
>     > that out.
>     > Thank you
>     > Lila
>

>     --
>
>     Nick Drummond
>
>     http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/
>     <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>
>     <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Nick Drummond

Re: Clickable URLs

Lila Molyva
Nick,
thank you!That worked although there is a delay after the editor (with browser) appears and everything is stuck (but it lasts only for a few seconds).Did that happen to you too?The pop up window did not appear behind the main window.So, it worked fine!

Scott,
I was not able to change the widget to URL widget.I don' have this choice.Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you so much for replying so soon.You really helped me!
Lila

--

Nick Drummond

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Re: Clickable URLs

Scott L Holmes
Here's what I did for my private kb.

Protege+Owl 3.1

Create Class Resource
Resource has Functional Property URI
Lila,

URI has Range xsd:anyURI (In 3.2, I believe you have to set the visibility of this in prefs).

View Form Editor for class Resource
Select URI Widget (probably a string)
Drop down Select Widget Type (top of form)
Select URLWidget
Size the widget to nice viewable size.

If you've been messing around with the same class in the Form Editor, I find it helps to start over by clicking the magnifying glass (resets everything on the form).

Nick,

OH! That's mightly cool! I shall play around with that. Just to be clear, though - no chance on that being OWL-DL, right?

Scott

--

Nick Drummond

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/" target="_blank">http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/" target="_blank"> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Properties values

Lila Molyva
Hi,
I created my ontology in Protege Frames and now I try to conert it to OWL Protege. My problem is that I want my property to accept string values and put the value of each individual seperately.Do you know how I can do that?

--

Nick Drummond

<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/" target=_blank>http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/" target=_blank> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Re: Properties values

Tania Tudorache
Lila,

to convert a frames project to OWL, you select the "Convert Project to
Format.." from the "File" menu and then select the "OWL /RDF Files" backend.

If you had a slot of type String in the frames project, it will be
converted to a DatatypeProperty with the range String. The instances
will be converted to OWL individuals. If you had values for your string
slot, they will also be converted to values of the datatype property of
the individuals.

I don't understand what you mean by "put the value of each individual
separately". Can you please be more specific?

Tania

Lila Molyva wrote:

> Hi,
> I created my ontology in Protege Frames and now I try to conert it
> to OWL Protege. My problem is that I want my property to accept string
> values and put the value of each individual seperately.Do you know how
> I can do that?

Hi Tania,
(and thank you again)
What I mean is that I have a class with the components I want to use in my
other class (assume I had pizza and pizza toppings) and I can not add any
value in the object properties in my individuals.Is it necessary to create
individuals of my components as well?Or try changing the type of the
property?I wish there was a way to do that without changing my property from
object type to datatype since I dont have individuals in the components'
class.Please let me know if there is any other way...
Thank you
Lila

> to convert a frames project to OWL, you select the "Convert Project to
> Format.." from the "File" menu and then select the "OWL /RDF Files"
> backend.
>
> If you had a slot of type String in the frames project, it will be
> converted to a DatatypeProperty with the range String. The instances will
> be converted to OWL individuals. If you had values for your string slot,
> they will also be converted to values of the datatype property of the
> individuals.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "put the value of each individual
> separately". Can you please be more specific?
>
> Tania
>
> Lila Molyva wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I created my ontology in Protege Frames and now I try to conert it to OWL
>> Protege. My problem is that I want my property to accept string values
>> and put the value of each individual seperately.Do you know how I can do
>> that?

Object properties are for relating individuals - I'm not sure why you
want to convert them to datatypes?
I think you will need to either create individuals for each component
type or try the OWLDLIndividuals tab [1] to relate them to an anonymous
member of the class (eg PizzaTopping)

Nick

[1] http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/owldlindividualstab/co-ode-index.php

Lila Molyva wrote:

> Hi Tania,
> (and thank you again)
> What I mean is that I have a class with the components I want to use
> in my other class (assume I had pizza and pizza toppings) and I can
> not add any value in the object properties in my individuals.Is it
> necessary to create individuals of my components as well?Or try
> changing the type of the property?I wish there was a way to do that
> without changing my property from object type to datatype since I dont
> have individuals in the components' class.Please let me know if there
> is any other way...
> Thank you
> Lila
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tania Tudorache"
> <[hidden email]>

if you had instances related by a relationship in the frames projects,
(for example Pizza1 hasTopping PizzaTopping1) then, after conversion to
an OWL project, you would still have this relationship between the
corresponding individuals. See conversion below:

Frames project
         OWL project
Instance Pizza1 of Cls Pizza                                    ->
    Individual Pizza1 of Cls Pizza
Instance PizzaTopping1 of Cls PizzaTopping            ->
Individual PizzaTopping1 of Cls PizzaTopping
hasTopping - instance slot,                                       ->
     ObjectProperty(hasTopping)
                    dom:Pizza, allowed val:PizzaTopping
    dom:Pizza, range:PizzaTopping
Pizza1 ownSlot(hasTopping): PizzaTopping1            ->        Pizza1
ObjectProperty(hasTopping) filler: PizzaTopping1

So, you don't have to change the ObjectProperty to DatatypeProperty. The
converter will do everything for you (assuming you also have the
instances and their relationships defined in the frames project).

Tania