Confusing import behaviour

Gibson, A.P.
Confusing import behaviour

Hi,

This is quite a specific bug :-) I have been playing with imports, and have come across some confusing behaviour. This happens when an ontology imports multiple ontologies that import the *same* ontology. I have attached files to illustrate this:

Import1.owl and Import2.owl *both* import ImportedMultipleTimes.owl
Imports1and2.owl imports Import1.owl and Import2.owl

If you open Imports1and2.owl and look at the 'Active Ontology' tab, you see the ImportedMultipleTimes.owl under 'Indirect Imports' as you would expect. This indirect import appears in the list only once.

If you then click the 'Delete' icon next to the indirect import - nothing *appears* to happen. However, if you click it a second time - then the indirect import goes away. It appears that the indirect imports are deleted in some arbitrary order, and there is nothing to indicate what happened.

I would expect that either:

1) you can remove *all* imports of this indirectly imported ontology from *all* directly imported ontologies

or

2) You can see each individually imported ontology in the list of indirect imports and which ontology it is indirectly imported in, and then be able remove them one by one. Although this seems less practically useful than 1), if I have *other* imported ontologies that *do not* indirectly import that ontology, then I would like to be able to tell which ones do (probably through the Imports GraphViz view which is very useful).

Cheers
Andrew

Dr Andrew Gibson
Universiteit van Amsterdam

Import1.owl (1K) Download Attachment
Import2.owl (1K) Download Attachment
ImportedMultipleTimes.owl (1K) Download Attachment
Imports1and2.owl (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Confusing import behaviour

Nick Drummond
Heyup.

Cheers for the report.

This is actually more complicated.
Each row can only show an axiom from a single ontology.
This case arrises whenever we have a redundant axiom in more than one ontology.

eg

a+b.owl imports a.owl
a+b.owl imports b.owl

Both a.owl and b.owl contain the axiom

A -> p some B

Then browsing class A in a+b.owl shows a single line "p some B" - floating over it shows that the axiom is from a.owl.
Deleting it then shows the same behaviour as you have above - it still shows up but now it is the axiom from b.owl.
There is no way (while browsing a+b.owl) to know if the axiom exists more than once (therefore you have no choice about where it is deleted from).

This needs thinking about.
I've added a bug.

Nick

PS I believe you are hosting the next protege conference?? :)