Quantcast

Consistency checking

nasmit
This is an example of animals properties descriptions.

If I assert that a cat has a head and legs and I assert that it has littlewing, which is of type Wing and all individuals in the ontology are distinct, isnt that a sufficient condition for inconsistency?

Asserting the descriptions of a cat

I just dont understand why the reasoner is not showing inconsistency in this particular ontology configuration. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help

Best,
Nas

Re: Consistency checking

Lorenz Buehmann
Why should it be inconsistent?

Your class axiom only states that each cat has some head and some leg. That is just how OWL inference works.

If you have a cat, then you can infer that it has at least one head and at least one leg. Nothing is forbidden.
By the way, with your axiom everything that has at least one head and at least one leg will become a cat.

This is an example of animals properties descriptions.

If I assert that a cat has a head and legs and I assert that it has
littlewing, which is of type Wing and all individuals in the ontology are
distinct, isnt that a sufficient condition for inconsistency?

<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4667810/test_class_ontol.jpg>

Asserting the descriptions of a cat

<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4667810/test_members_ont.jpg>

I just dont understand why the reasoner is not showing inconsistency in this
particular ontology configuration. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help

Best,
Nas

Lorenz B├╝hmann