Correction: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Correction: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye

Tania:

I understand WebProtege does not have the Description Logic Reasoner to check the consistency of the ontology and automatically compute the ontology class hierarchy. It is only useful for the “initial development of the ontology” but not for running it to check the consistency of the ontology.  True or false?

Kofi

Re: Correction: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Tania Tudorache

WebProtege does not support reasoning, yet, but it will.

Currently, you can develop your ontology in WebProtege, and load it in Protege desktop to run the reasoner. WebProtege can still be the main editing environment.

Tania

I understand WebProtege does not have the Description Logic Reasoner to check the consistency of the ontology and automatically compute the ontology class hierarchy. It is only useful for the “initial development of the ontology” but not for running it to check the consistency of the ontology.  True or false?

Kofi

Yes, they are both extensible. Both are open source (https://github.com/protegeproject). Protege desktop has a fairly extensive plugin infrastructure; WebProtege has APIs that allow you to add new components to it. Both of them use the OWL API to access the ontologies.

Tania

Thanks Tania ... are both equally extensible via the Protege/OWL API
(assuming of course we were to host our own instance of WebProtege)?

Tania Tudorache wrote
> Both WebProtege and the Protege server are built to support collaboration
> among groups of people developing an ontology together.
>

> The main difference is that in WebProtege you would be editing in a Web
> browser, and with the Protege client, you would be editing in the
> "regular" desktop Protege.

Re: Correction: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye

Tania:

Thank you for the clarification.

Kofi