Custom annotations

Miha Grešak
Hello,

In my ontology I have a class Person and I want to store some more information about that person: first name, last name, mark and so on.
Is it possible to add some custom annotations that would store those values or is it better to have a relational database for that?
I saw some predefined custom annotations (rdfs:label, rdfs:comment...). Is it possible to add my own annotations like sth:firstName, sth:lastName...

Thanks for suggestions.

Re: Custom annotations

murtuza kutub
you can have instances as the values instead... annotations are just like comments... for your benefit...
eg. your subclass last name could have instances  like 'gupta' or 'malhotra' or 'lee' etc

Re: Custom annotations

Olivier Dameron
Hello Miha,

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:25:00 +0200, Miha Grešak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In my ontology I have a class Person and I want to store some more
> information about that person: first name, last name, mark and so on.
> Is it possible to add some custom annotations that would store those
> values or is it better to have a relational database for that?
> I saw some predefined custom annotations (rdfs:label,
> rdfs:comment...). Is it possible to add my own annotations like
> sth:firstName, sth:lastName...

I think you should look at datatype properties (and possibly object
properties) nistead of annotations

cheers
olivier

Re: Custom annotations

Thomas Russ

On Jun 21, 2010, at 2:25 AM, Miha Grešak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my ontology I have a class Person and I want to store some more
> information about that person: first name, last name, mark and so on.

I'm not really sure you want to have annotations for these.
Certainly, first and last name sound like they would be properties of
individuals of this class rather than annotations on the class.

Annotations are used to attach information to the class itself.  So
unless the class Person has a first name, you would not use an
annotation.  I think you really mean that individuals that belong to
the class Person have a first name.   You model that by creating an
appropriate DatatypeProperty or ObjectProperty and either set the
domain of the property to Person, or you use a cardinality or
someValuesFrom restriction on Person with that property.

> Is it possible to add some custom annotations that would store those
> values or is it better to have a relational database for that?

You can add custom annotations if that is what you need.
Create an AnnotationProperty for each of your custom annotations.  But
remember that annotations apply to the class itself and not to
individuals that belong to the class.

> I saw some predefined custom annotations (rdfs:label,
> rdfs:comment...). Is it possible to add my own annotations like
> sth:firstName, sth:lastName...

Yes.  But I don't think you want first and last name to be annotations.