Database and instances.

seshadri n
 hi
  i am working on an e-commerce website that uses a fine arts ontology  for product classification and product search. I have not been able to  find a fine arts ontology and intend to build one. It would be of help  if anyone can suggest an existing one. I have two questions:
  1)Will it be sufficient to store products as protege instances. because  other parts of the application may use 'conventional' databases.Is  there a way to combine the two?Is protege database used for the same  purpose?
  2)Since I'll be working on JSP, I'll manipulate protege classes from  Java. For the search functionality I intend to use tools like Sesame  which provide RDF ontology querying. Can I know how do I trigger Sesame  queries from Java. Or is there a better option using protege itself?
  Please help.

  Seshadri
  University of Mumbai

Re: Database and instances.

Aruna-2

Hi,

I too have similar question, I have build a product ontology and would
like to add the products as instances to the classes, I have the product
information in the database, What will be best way to add this data to
the ontology.

Thanks
Aruna

seshadri n <techseshadri <at> yahoo.com> writes:

>  hi
>   i am working on an e-commerce website that uses a fine arts ontology  for
product classification and product
> search. I have not been able to  find a fine arts ontology and intend to
build one. It would be of help  if anyone
> can suggest an existing one. I have two questions:
>   1)Will it be sufficient to store products as protege instances. because
other parts of the application may
> use 'conventional' databases.Is  there a way to combine the two?Is protege
database used for the same  purpose?
>   2)Since I'll be working on JSP, I'll manipulate protege classes from  Java.
For the search functionality I
> intend to use tools like Sesame  which provide RDF ontology querying. Can I
know how do I trigger Sesame

> queries from Java. Or is there a better option using protege itself?
>   Please help.
>
>   Seshadri
>   University of Mumbai

I too have similar question, I have build a product ontology and would like to
add the products as instances to the classes, I have the product information in
the database, What will be best way to add this data to the ontology.

Thanks
Aruna

Re: Database and instances.

anne BACH
hi,
I have the same questions as Seshadri's, anyone could help us ?
Anne
Universite Paul Sabatier de Toulouse.