Quantcast

Database consistency checking

Citlalli Mejía Almonte
Hi,

Maybe this is not the place to ask this question, but I'm going to try it anyway.

I have read that one of the ontology uses is to check consistency of databases, but I don't know how exactly that can be achieved. Does the entire database have to be transformed into ontology? Or are there any tools to do it? If the answer is both, which would be the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Re: Database consistency checking

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Where have you read that? A little bit more context would be good.

In any case, if you could (fully) transform your database into an (meaningful!) ontology, you would be able to check the consistency of the model. This may not be practical in many cases, though.

Csongor

On 05/15/2017 07:06 AM, Citlalli Mejía Almonte wrote:
Hi,

Maybe this is not the place to ask this question, but I'm going to try it anyway.

I have read that one of the ontology uses is to check consistency of databases, but I don't know how exactly that can be achieved. Does the entire database have to be transformed into ontology? Or are there any tools to do it? If the answer is both, which would be the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Re: Database consistency checking

Josef Hardi
Hi Citlalli,

You can use the Ontop plugin in Protege to perform the inconsistency checking between your domain model (ontology) and database. Once you have installed the plugin and created the mapping model, select “Ontop > check for inconsistencies…”

Go to their website http://ontop.inf.unibz.it/ to learn more.

Best,
Josef

On May 15, 2017, at 7:06 AM, Citlalli Mejía Almonte <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Maybe this is not the place to ask this question, but I'm going to try it anyway.

I have read that one of the ontology uses is to check consistency of databases, but I don't know how exactly that can be achieved. Does the entire database have to be transformed into ontology? Or are there any tools to do it? If the answer is both, which would be the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Re: Database consistency checking

Citlalli Mejía Almonte
Hi Josef,

I reviewed ontop website and did the tutorials; I even check for inconsistencies a database, but neither I understand how it exactly works (how does it know a database is inconsistent) nor I found the explanation. I also posted a question in the forum of ontop, but I haven't received an answer. Could you by chance give me some references, where this is explained?

Thanks in advance

[...]

Lorenz B.
Consistency is always determined by a reasoning profile which comprises a set of consistency rules, e.g. OWL RL + the ontology that provides the semantics of the domain.

[...]

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig