Debugging owlapi errors on SWEET ontology

Debugging owlapi errors on SWEET ontology

Beard, David
When loading the JPL SWEET ontology in Protégé v5.0.0, I’m seeing a series of owlapi errors on a subset of the classes. These appear in the Class hierarchy as an Error node w/ the affected class as its subclass.

The error node is http://org.semanticweb.owlapi/error#Error[N]

For example in http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.3/reprMathGraph.owl I’m getting 15 errors, numbered Error1 through Error15. Several ( not all ) of these are on classes in http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.3/propQuantity.owl that subClass ScientificQuantity. The propQuantity *.owl file contains another series of errors numbered 16 through 33. I’m not sure if this is significant, or just the way that Protégé counts errors.

I think that all of the classes throwing errors are subclasses.

How should I go about debugging this issue. I don’t think that it’s a problem w/ the files – they look valid. So I’m guessing that it’s a problem w/ the logic of the SWEET ontology.

Thanks
David

Re: Debugging owlapi errors on SWEET ontology

Lorenz Buehmann
Hello David,

those classes with the IRI http://org.semanticweb.owlapi/error#Error[N]
occur when the parsing of some anonymous classes fails because it's RDF
representation is incomplete or invalid.

Kind regards,
Lorenz

> When loading the JPL SWEET ontology in Protégé v5.0.0, I’m seeing a series of owlapi errors on a subset of the classes. These appear in the Class hierarchy as an Error node w/ the affected class as its subclass.
>
> The error node is http://org.semanticweb.owlapi/error#Error[N]
>
> For example in http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.3/reprMathGraph.owl I’m getting 15 errors, numbered Error1 through Error15. Several ( not all ) of these are on classes in http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.3/propQuantity.owl that subClass ScientificQuantity. The propQuantity *.owl file contains another series of errors numbered 16 through 33. I’m not sure if this is significant, or just the way that Protégé counts errors.
>
> I think that all of the classes throwing errors are subclasses.
>
> How should I go about debugging this issue. I don’t think that it’s a problem w/ the files – they look valid. So I’m guessing that it’s a problem w/ the logic of the SWEET ontology.
>
> Thanks
> David

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig
Group: http://aksw.org - semantic web research center

Re: Debugging owlapi errors on SWEET ontology

Beard, David
Thanks Lorenz. Can anyone recommend an RDF validator that I can run on this ontology to identify where the errors are occurring? - is there one that can process all 228 files as a batch?

I've checked the affected files w/ this one, but it's not turning up anything.
http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/

David

occur when the parsing of some anonymous classes fails because it's RDF representation is incomplete or invalid.

Kind regards,
Lorenz

> When loading the JPL SWEET ontology in Protégé v5.0.0, I'm seeing a series of owlapi errors on a subset of the classes. These appear in the Class hierarchy as an Error node w/ the affected class as its subclass.
>
> The error node is http://org.semanticweb.owlapi/error#Error[N]
>
> For example in http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.3/reprMathGraph.owl I'm getting 15 errors, numbered Error1 through Error15. Several ( not all ) of these are on classes in http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.3/propQuantity.owl that subClass ScientificQuantity. The propQuantity *.owl file contains another series of errors numbered 16 through 33. I'm not sure if this is significant, or just the way that Protégé counts errors.
>
> I think that all of the classes throwing errors are subclasses.
>
> How should I go about debugging this issue. I don't think that it's a problem w/ the files - they look valid. So I'm guessing that it's a problem w/ the logic of the SWEET ontology.
>
> Thanks
> David

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig
Group: http://aksw.org - semantic web research center

Re: Debugging owlapi errors on SWEET ontology

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi David,

Try the OWL validator at http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/validator/, which takes as input the URL of the root ontology. Alternatively, you could use the OWL API to programmatically validate each import, and try to isolate the culprit.

Cheers,
Rafael