Define some interval subclass

sjtirtha
Hi,

How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
Example:
I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses: WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.

NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.

Regards,

Steve

Re: Define some interval subclass

Juan Sequeda
You could create a datatype property for each class which would have a max cardinality of 10.... another with a min cardinality of 10 and max 30, etc.

There are many methodologies for ontology engineering. I have particularly work with methontology.

On 4/27/07, Steve Jonathan Tirtha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
Example:
I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses: WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.

NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.

Regards,

Steve

Juan Sequeda
Research Assistant
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Texas at Austin
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~jsequeda

Re: Define some interval subclass

Nagy Attila-2
I guess you can't put a restriction on a numeric data property being
"less" or "more" than a given value.

I have the very same problem with ages. I currently have age ranges as
instances, and they are linked through a transitive object property
called "fully_includes".

Here, you have another option. You can have two datatype properties
for a class: "min_weight" and "max_weight" with adequate fillers.
However, don't expect the reasoner to be able to anything with it. It
is up to the application that uses the ontology to handle this. I
don't have this option, since my age ranges are sometimes
noncontiguous, like "under 20 and above 60".

The problem with Juan's approach is that having a cardinality
restriction like "weight max 10" states that an object cannot have
more than 10 weights. This is obviously not what you want to express.

Cheers,

Attis

2007/4/27, Steve Jonathan Tirtha <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
> Example:
> I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses:
> WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
> I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class
> WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.
>

> NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read already
> Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Re: Define some interval subclass

Thomas Russ

On Apr 27, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Steve Jonathan Tirtha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
> Example:
> I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses:
> WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
> I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class
> WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.

As pointed out by others, this is not something that you can express
using OWL.

Some restrictions like this can be expressed either by creating your
own XSD datatypes.  Or else you need to look to additional languages
like SWRL, which can do some things like this.

Or you find a modeling language more expressive than OWL.

> NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
> already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.

There isn't really any complete consensus on modeling practices.

There are some hints in the OWL tests that you can run from Protege.

There has also been methodological work on ontologies in general
(rather than OWL-specific), from U. Amsterdam (CommonKADS) and from
some theoretical work (Chris Welty and Nicola Guarino -- OntoClean)

Re: Define some interval subclass

Mark Feblowitz
See

         http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/

At 01:17 PM 4/27/2007, Thomas Russ wrote:

> > NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
> > already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.

Re: Define some interval subclass

sjtirtha
Ok,

thanks for the advices. I'll try those approaches.
I'm thinking also to use new datatype defined in xsd, but only pellet supports datatype reasoning.
But I'll try first, than I'll ask again.

steve

On 4/27/07, Thomas Russ <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 27, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Steve Jonathan Tirtha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
> Example:
> I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses:
> WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
> I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class
> WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.

As pointed out by others, this is not something that you can express
using OWL.

Some restrictions like this can be expressed either by creating your
own XSD datatypes.  Or else you need to look to additional languages
like SWRL, which can do some things like this.

Or you find a modeling language more expressive than OWL.

> NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
> already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.

There isn't really any complete consensus on modeling practices.

There are some hints in the OWL tests that you can run from Protege.

There has also been methodological work on ontologies in general
(rather than OWL-specific), from U. Amsterdam (CommonKADS) and from
some theoretical work (Chris Welty and Nicola Guarino -- OntoClean)

Re: Define some interval subclass

Nagy Attila-2
If you manage to find a solution, please tell us about it. As I said
before, I have a quite similar problem. Thanks.

Cheers,

Attis

2007/4/27, Steve Jonathan Tirtha <[hidden email]>:

> Ok,
>
> thanks for the advices. I'll try those approaches.
> I'm thinking also to use new datatype defined in xsd, but only pellet
> supports datatype reasoning.
> But I'll try first, than I'll ask again.
>
> steve
>

> On 4/27/07, Thomas Russ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 27, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Steve Jonathan Tirtha wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
> > > Example:
> > > I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses:
> > > WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
> > > I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class
> > > WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.
> >
> > As pointed out by others, this is not something that you can express
> > using OWL.
> >
> > Some restrictions like this can be expressed either by creating your
> > own XSD datatypes.  Or else you need to look to additional languages
> > like SWRL, which can do some things like this.
> >
> > Or you find a modeling language more expressive than OWL.
> >
> > > NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
> > > already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.
> >
> > There isn't really any complete consensus on modeling practices.
> >
> > There are some hints in the OWL tests that you can run from Protege.
> >
> > There has also been methodological work on ontologies in general
> > (rather than OWL-specific), from U. Amsterdam (CommonKADS) and from
> > some theoretical work (Chris Welty and Nicola Guarino -- OntoClean)

Re: Define some interval subclass

sjtirtha
Hi,

I did some research for the use case. Thomas was right, OWL can not define "a interval value".
We can define it in XSD, but I think it is hard to be maintained. The xsd file is imported in owl file.
That means, if one want to use this owl file and have to define a new interval, he needs to change the xsd or import a new xsd.

I hope, there is a posibility to define it directly in owl.

Regards,

Steve

On 4/28/07, Nagy Attila <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you manage to find a solution, please tell us about it. As I said
before, I have a quite similar problem. Thanks.

Cheers,

Attis

2007/4/27, Steve Jonathan Tirtha <[hidden email]>:
> Ok,
>
> thanks for the advices. I'll try those approaches.
> I'm thinking also to use new datatype defined in xsd, but only pellet

> supports datatype reasoning.
> But I'll try first, than I'll ask again.
>
> steve
>

> On 4/27/07, Thomas Russ < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 27, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Steve Jonathan Tirtha wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
> > > Example:
> > > I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses:
> > > WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
> > > I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class
> > > WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.
> >
> > As pointed out by others, this is not something that you can express
> > using OWL.
> >
> > Some restrictions like this can be expressed either by creating your
> > own XSD datatypes.  Or else you need to look to additional languages
> > like SWRL, which can do some things like this.
> >
> > Or you find a modeling language more expressive than OWL.
> >
> > > NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
> > > already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.
> >
> > There isn't really any complete consensus on modeling practices.
> >
> > There are some hints in the OWL tests that you can run from Protege.
> >
> > There has also been methodological work on ontologies in general
> > (rather than OWL-specific), from U. Amsterdam (CommonKADS) and from
> > some theoretical work (Chris Welty and Nicola Guarino -- OntoClean)

Re: Define some interval subclass

Martin O'Connor

Another possibility is to use SWRL to define these weight
classifications. If we have a class Weight with a hasWeightInKg
functional datatype property we can write rules as follows:

Weight(?i) ^ hasWeightInKg(?i, ?w) ^ swrlb:lessThan(?w, 10) ->
LessThan10Kg(?i)
Weight(?i) ^ hasWeightInKg(?i, ?w) ^ swrlb:greaterThanOrEqual(?w, 10) ^
swrlb:lessThanOrEqual(?w, 30) ->  WeightBetween10And30Kg(?i)
Weight(?i) ^ hasWeightInKg(?i, ?w) ^ swrlb:greaterThan(?w, 30) ->
WeightOver30Kg(?i)

These rules will reclassify individuals of class Weight to be
appropriate weight subclasses.

I'm not sure how natural this is though.

Martin

> [...]
>     > > like SWRL, which can do some things like this.
>     > >
>     > > Or you find a modeling language more expressive than OWL.
>     > >
>     > > > NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
>     > > > already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still
>     not enough.
>     > >
>     > > There isn't really any complete consensus on modeling practices.
>     > >
>     > > There are some hints in the OWL tests that you can run from
>     Protege.
>     > >
>     > > There has also been methodological work on ontologies in general
>     > > (rather than OWL-specific), from U. Amsterdam (CommonKADS) and
>     from
>     > > some theoretical work (Chris Welty and Nicola Guarino --

I just found this article <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/xsp.html" target="_blank">http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/xsp.html .
And it seems to be the best solution, but it extends the owl language.
Is it already implemented in Protege? Because the article is from 2005.
On the last section of the article there is a statement
"Therefore, Protege will provide an export facility to save these information in a "standard" format, whatever this will be in the future."
Is this export function already implemented?

I found also another articles regarding this problem.

But like I said before, all these articles are about 2 years old. Is there any conclusion answering this problem.

Steve