Defining Data, Information and Knowledge

Defining Data, Information and Knowledge

James Taylor-12
I am trying to find definitions for above terms and the key diferences
between them. Any references?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jim

Re: Defining Data, Information and Knowledge

Karlo Jara Schenone
Hi James:

  In a very broad sense:

  Data: something that can be sensed from the "outside" through senses or sensors. It also can be derived from other data (operations, calculation).

  Information: something that is processed from data (data arranged) (e.g. statistics). It helps to show WHAT is happening (or happened). It also can be derived from other information.

  Knowledge: something that is processed from data and information. It helps to show WHY something is happening. It is an explanation and has PREDICTIVE power (WHAT is going to, or could, happen). It also can be derived from other knowledge. Some people call the knowledge from the "outside" INTELLIGENCE (competidors included in the "outside").

  Wisdom: something that is processed from......who knows :-). It helps to show WHICH knowledge (or information or even data) is more useful in one situation. If you find how it is processed send me an e-mail please :-)

  bye

  Karlo

James Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
  I am trying to find definitions for above terms and the key diferences
between them. Any references?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jim

Atentamente
  Karlo Jara Schenone

Re: Defining Data, Information and Knowledge

teddy mensah
hi
  i'm doing a project on knowledge based systems and using protege as a  case study soft ware. can anyone please suggest th the best way to start using and to understand it as a whole? i'm new to it.
  thanks
  Teddy

James Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
  I am trying to find definitions for above terms and the key diferences
between them. Any references?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jim

Re: Defining Data, Information and Knowledge

Peter Jones-5

Hi

The following page may be of interest regards defining data and
information:

http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/infdefs.html

and related pages - there are references included.

See also

http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/linksTwo.htm

- includes -

http://fis.icts.sbg.ac.at/main.html

listed under sciences.

There may be some 'knowledge' definitions within knowledge management
and A.I. links at:

http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/links.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards