Definition of object property range and domain.

Definition of object property range and domain.

Imane EL ARABI
Hello all,

I was wondering is it best to declare domain and ranges for object and data properties, or to declare instead a set of restrictions on a class that way we can be more explicit about the cardinality, and also reuse properties for multiple classes.

Thank you,

Re: Definition of object property range and domain.

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
It really depends on what you want your ontology to be able to infer. They are not equivalent!

In general if you want to say that any given instance of a class A has some relations p to instances of another class B, the correct way to model it is by making the class A a subclass of the (unnamed) class containing all the things that have an outgoing relationship along property p to instances of the class B. Setting the domain of property p to A, will not say that every instance of A will have an outgoing property p, but rather it will say that whenever something appears on the left hand side of a relation p you will know that that thing must be an instance of A. Basically, the domain axiom allows you to infer types of individuals, and detect inconsistencies (when combined with other axioms).
So, depending on what you want to state in your ontologies you can use either one or the other, or perhaps even both type of axioms in your ontology.

The range axioms are analogous to the domain axiom. They just refer to the right hand side of the property.

Csongor