Describing synonyms in Protege

cristina-2

Hello,

I've implemented synonyms according to the guidelines available at the Protege
wiki:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingSynonyms

Still, some colleagues have proposed the following alternatives to the above
mentioned guidelines:

1. Synonyms may be represented as comments in the "Documentation" class slot;

2. Synonyms may be represented as a reciprocal "is-a" relationship between
classes. Example: if "Event" and "Show" are synonyms in a given context, then
Event "is-a" Show and Show "is-a" Event.

Could anybody tell me whether those options would be valid? The 2nd one,
particularly, wouldn't be turning an otherwise consistent ontology into an
inconsistent one? Maybe it's a valid OWL construct, but what about its use in
Protege Frames?

Thanks so much,

Cristina

Re: Describing synonyms in Protege

samsontu

Cristina,

The two alternatives suggested by your colleagues are probably not good
choices:

1. Documentation slot can be used for any textual information. You
probably want to have dedicated slots/properties for synonyms. (Besides,
Protege frame UI gives you one place to enter documentation whereas a
term may have several synonyms.)

2. Classes are "ontological" entities that have properties and must
satisfy various constraints. Synonyms, on the other hand, are linguistic
  entities that may not match the meaning of your original concept
exactly and that may have specific linguistic attributes (e.g., slang,
archaic, etc) that you want to model separately.

Samson

Cristina Belderrain wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've implemented synonyms according to the guidelines available at the Protege
> wiki:
>
> http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingSynonyms
>
> Still, some colleagues have proposed the following alternatives to the above
> mentioned guidelines:
>
> 1. Synonyms may be represented as comments in the "Documentation" class slot;
>
> 2. Synonyms may be represented as a reciprocal "is-a" relationship between
> classes. Example: if "Event" and "Show" are synonyms in a given context, then
> Event "is-a" Show and Show "is-a" Event.
>
> Could anybody tell me whether those options would be valid? The 2nd one,
> particularly, wouldn't be turning an otherwise consistent ontology into an
> inconsistent one? Maybe it's a valid OWL construct, but what about its use in
> Protege Frames?
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Cristina

Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Does Amazon Use Ontology

sione

In  the PDF  tutorial for  'Ontology Development 101'  on page one , it
says that Amazon is using Ontology.

I have seen a presentation document by Ron Kohavi (former Stanford
student) for  Amazon collaborative & recommendation systems, and never
he brought up Ontology for Amazon.

"Amazon's Data Mining and Personalization"
http://ai.stanford.edu/~ronnyk/emetricsAmazon.pdf

My question is, if Amazon is using Ontology for product categorisations,
then how ? I am familiar with their recommendation engines, such as
'Customer who bought X also bought  Y' ,   'Customer who bought X also
looked at  Y'  or  'Buy X  &  Y  for  a  15% discount' , but  I am keen
to know where Ontology comes to play here?

I have an ecommerce  project that we are trying to replicate
functionalities of what Amazon is doing, and I am investigating  if
Ontoloty can be used or not. There are some opensource Java recommender
systems available from the net , that we are going to use, but the other
problem of trying to link related products is the one we are looking to
see if Ontology is the solution for that.

Any hint would be  appreciated.

Cheers,
Sione.

Re: Does Amazon Use Ontology

sione

Sione wrote:

>My question is, if Amazon is using Ontology for product categorisations,
>then how ? I am familiar with their recommendation engines, such as
>'Customer who bought X also bought  Y' ,   'Customer who bought X also
>looked at  Y'  or  'Buy X  &  Y  for  a  15% discount' , but  I am keen
>to know where Ontology comes to play in here?
>
>There are some opensource Java recommender
>systems available from the net , that we are going to use, but the other
>problem of trying to link related products is the one we are looking to
>see if Ontology is the solution for that.

Just in case someone is interested in Collaborative & Recommendation engines, here are two free Java API available from the internet for recommendation engines.

#1) "TASTE"

http://taste.sourceforge.net/

#2) "CoFE"

http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/iis/CoFE/

CoFE needs you to register your name and email but download comes with
full source codes.

You also might be interested in incorporating  SVD (Singular Value
Decomposition) as a dimensional reduction algorithm for recommendation
to any one of those packages above, which currently, none of them have got
SVD. There are papers on the internet on using SVD for recommendations.
Freely downloadable  JAMA  API  comes with SVD.

"JAMA (Java Matrix Algebra)"

http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/

Cheers,

Sione.