Descriptions and Examples of Class Metadata (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.)

Descriptions and Examples of Class Metadata (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.)

Zinky, Larry@OSI

Hi,

I have been slowly assembling an understanding of the uses of the metadata fields for classes (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.).  I am looking for more comprehensive explanations and examples of the how and what to uses these fields.  Same need for Object Properties, Data Properties, etc.

Thanks,

cid:image001.png@01D0AE82.A9D84990

Larry Zinky

Information Management

Child Welfare Digital Servces

916-790-0941 (cell)

916-891-3188 (desk)

[hidden email]

Description: Description: cid:image002.jpg@01D1B10F.92BADA80  Description: cid:image006.jpg@01D1B10F.92BADA80  Description: Description: https://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/media/image/YouTube-icon-full_color.png

Leaders must dedicate real time to strategic visioning. This is the core of leadership practice. No matter what you are leading, you must have a vision of the destination. - <a href="http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/bio/26871/Janet&#43;Kyle&#43;Altman">Janet Kyle Altman

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: Descriptions and Examples of Class Metadata (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.)

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Larry,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking here. Is your question related to Protege? Or do you try to understand OWL? Or you are asking a general modelling question?

In any case, you may be interested in checking out the many learning resources that we have listed on our Wiki:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Main_Page (the relevant section is: Tutorials and Getting Started)

If you want to learn more about OWL, Protege, and modelling with ontologies, you may be interested in the Protege OWL Short Course, taught by the Protege team, which is in less than 4 weeks from now: http://protege.stanford.edu/shortcourse/201610/index.html

Csongor

On 10/04/2016 09:39 AM, Zinky, Larry@OSI wrote:

Hi,

I have been slowly assembling an understanding of the uses of the metadata fields for classes (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.).  I am looking for more comprehensive explanations and examples of the how and what to uses these fields.  Same need for Object Properties, Data Properties, etc.

Thanks,

cid:image001.png@01D0AE82.A9D84990

Larry Zinky

Information Management

Child Welfare Digital Servces

916-790-0941 (cell)

916-891-3188 (desk)

                        cid:image002.jpg@01D1B10F.92BADA80  Description:
                        cid:image006.jpg@01D1B10F.92BADA80  Description: Description:
https://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/media/image/YouTube-icon-full_color.png

Leaders must dedicate real time to strategic visioning. This is the core of leadership practice. No matter what you are leading, you must have a vision of the destination. - Janet Kyle Altman

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: Descriptions and Examples of Class Metadata (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.)

Zinky, Larry@OSI

Hi,

My question is really how to use the metadata fields in Protégé.    For example, I have a subclass called Employee under the Class Person.   Protégé5 I am using has the Annotations and Description metadata for Employee.  Protégé automatically populates the Subclass of metadata field in the Description section of the Class Hierarchy with Person.

What I have not been able to find, except for the limited Pizza ontology example, is a through description of how I use the fields of (in this example).

General Class Axioms,

SubClass of (Anonymous Ancestor),

Target for Key,

Etc.

I have found some limited examples, but would like a more detailed description of how to use and examples so that I am using the tool to its fullest extent.  Does material exist that better describes how to populate these fields and how it informs the model and output from Protege5.  For example, a more robust pizza example

Thanks

Re: Descriptions and Examples of Class Metadata (e.g., Annotations, Descriptions, etc.)

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Larry,

There is a more advanced tutorial that is the Family History Advanced OWL tutorial @ http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/publications/talks-and-tutorials/fhkbtutorial/.

- The 'SubClassOf (Anonymous Ancestor)' “field” in Protege is not meant for input - it displays restrictions of ancestor classes.
- The 'General Class Axioms’ field is for writing general concept inclusions (GCIs), i.e., axioms where the left-hand side is not a named term (e.g., Person and hasPet some Pet SubClassOf PetOwner).
- The ‘Target for Key’ field allows you to state a property for which instances of a class (the selected one in Protege) must have a unique value. See https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Keys for more details.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael