Difference in datatypes for Protege 3.1.1 216 and 3.2.beta 236

Difference in datatypes for Protege 3.1.1 216 and 3.2.beta 236

Natalya Keberle
Hi All,

the problem is as follows:
There is an owl/rdf project, created in Protege 3.1.1 build 216.
When I open it in its "native" version of Protege, I can see a big list of allowed datatypes, corresponding to xsd namespace, and, particularly, xsd:double, xsd:float.

When I re-open the project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, and try to add new datatype properties,  the list of allowed datatypes contains only basic datatypes (boolean, int, float, string, date, dateTime, time, Any), datatypes, which were used in my project(double),and no more.
When I create a new project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, the list of allowed datatypes is reduced to basic datatypes, and I cannot define the range of a property as double.

This particularly leads to the situation, when all instances, having datatype properties of xsd:double, are in "red box", when open the Instances Tab.

Moreover, the precision of float is smaller then declared in XMLSchema, so I can declare 2E38, but 2E39 leads to "infinity" value, but the declared bounds for E in float are [-149,+104].

Is this a bug?
Should I convert all properties with "double" range into "float"?

Cheers,
Natalya

FLOAT type BUG found by Natalya

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Natalya,

Seeing specs:
"float corresponds to the IEEE single-precision 32-bit floating point type
[ieee754].
The basic value space of float consists of the values m × 2^e,
where m is an integer whose absolute value is less than 2^24, and
 e is an integer between -149 and 104, inclusive"

Seeing Java 1.5 specs about float,
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Float.html
max float value:A constant holding the largest positive finite value of type
float, (2-2-23)·2127
minimum float value: a constant holding the smallest positive nonzero value
of type float, 2-149

I tried With Proge OWL version 3.2 build 241 with several values including
minimun ja maximum it should meet.

You are right, IT FAILED TO MEET MINUMUM AND MAXIMUM for float and even with
easier values!
Looks to me a BUG and a SERIOUS ONE !!!
Persaps extreme tests with minimum and maximu should be done
systematically!?

Hopefully developers pay attension to this and math because this kind of bug
severely limits ontology modelling!

Thanks letting others know about this problem!
Ronnie

> There is an owl/rdf project, created in Protege 3.1.1 build 216.
> When I open it in its "native" version of Protege, I can see a big list of
allowed datatypes, corresponding to xsd namespace, and, particularly,
xsd:double, xsd:float.

> When I re-open the project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, and try to add new
datatype properties,  the list of allowed datatypes contains only basic
datatypes (boolean, int, float, string, date, dateTime, time, Any),
datatypes, which were used in my project(double),and no more.
> When I create a new project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, the list of allowed
datatypes is reduced to basic datatypes, and I cannot define the range of a
property as double.

> This particularly leads to the situation, when all instances, having
datatype properties of xsd:double, are in "red box", when open the Instances
Tab.

> Moreover, the precision of float is smaller then declared in XMLSchema, so
I can declare 2E38, but 2E39 leads to "infinity" value, but the declared
bounds for E in float are [-149,+104].

> Is this a bug?
> Should I convert all properties with "double" range into "float"?
>
> Cheers,
> Natalya

Re: FLOAT type BUG found by Natalya

Natalya G. Keberle
Hi Ronni, All

but the main question is "Why there is NO xsd:double datatype in empty OWL
project for a datatype property?".
I need to distinguich doubles from floats declaratively, whatever their
maximums and minimums are.

Natalya

> "float corresponds to the IEEE single-precision 32-bit floating point type
> [ieee754].
> The basic value space of float consists of the values m × 2^e,
> where m is an integer whose absolute value is less than 2^24, and
>  e is an integer between -149 and 104, inclusive"
>
> Seeing Java 1.5 specs about float,
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Float.html
> max float value:A constant holding the largest positive finite value of
type
> float, (2-2-23)·2127
> minimum float value: a constant holding the smallest positive nonzero
value
> of type float, 2-149
>
> I tried With Proge OWL version 3.2 build 241 with several values including
> minimun ja maximum it should meet.
>
> You are right, IT FAILED TO MEET MINUMUM AND MAXIMUM for float and even
with
> easier values!
> Looks to me a BUG and a SERIOUS ONE !!!
> Persaps extreme tests with minimum and maximu should be done
> systematically!?
>
> Hopefully developers pay attension to this and math because this kind of
bug

> severely limits ontology modelling!
>
> Thanks letting others know about this problem!
> Ronnie

Protege-OWL API - Warnings

Francisco Javier Salas
Hi :)

I'm using the Protégé-OWL API to manage my own owl model. I've implemented a
java file using this API and all it's ok. However, I retrieve many warnings
when I execute my java class. How can I delete this warnings? (i'm using
protege 3.2)

Thanks in advance

.javi

Re: Difference in datatypes for Protege 3.1.1 216 and 3.2.beta 236

Matthew Horridge
Hi Natalya,

> the problem is as follows:
> There is an owl/rdf project, created in Protege 3.1.1 build 216.
> When I open it in its "native" version of Protege, I can see a big
> list of allowed datatypes, corresponding to xsd namespace, and,
> particularly, xsd:double, xsd:float.
>
> When I re-open the project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, and try to add
> new datatype properties,  the list of allowed datatypes contains
> only basic datatypes (boolean, int, float, string, date, dateTime,
> time, Any), datatypes, which were used in my project(double),and no
> more.
> When I create a new project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, the list of
> allowed datatypes is reduced to basic datatypes, and I cannot
> define the range of a property as double.
>
> This particularly leads to the situation, when all instances,
> having datatype properties of xsd:double, are in "red box", when
> open the Instances Tab.

Only basic datatypes are visible by default - you can activate other
datatypes by going to the OWL Preferences Dialog and checking the
datatypes that you want to see in the UI.
> Moreover, the precision of float is smaller then declared in
> XMLSchema, so I can declare 2E38, but 2E39 leads to "infinity"
> value, but the declared bounds for E in float are [-149,+104].

> Is this a bug?

No.

*Please read the spec again*.  The spec states that a value space for
a float is m * 2^e

where m is a maximum of 2^24

and e is a maxim of 104

This give a maximum float values of   2^24 * 2^104 = 3.40282E38 -
i.e. 2E39 is greater than the maximum float --- no bug here.

You can double check this in Java

The max value of a (32 bit) float Float.MAX:  3.4028235E38 (This is
equal to 2^24 * 2^104)

Re: Difference in datatypes for Protege 3.1.1 216 and 3.2.beta 236

Natalya G. Keberle
Hi Matthew,

> Hi Natalya,
>
> > the problem is as follows:
> > There is an owl/rdf project, created in Protege 3.1.1 build 216.
> > When I open it in its "native" version of Protege, I can see a big
> > list of allowed datatypes, corresponding to xsd namespace, and,
> > particularly, xsd:double, xsd:float.
> >
> > When I re-open the project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, and try to add
> > new datatype properties,  the list of allowed datatypes contains
> > only basic datatypes (boolean, int, float, string, date, dateTime,
> > time, Any), datatypes, which were used in my project(double),and no
> > more.
> > When I create a new project in Protege 3.2. beta 236, the list of
> > allowed datatypes is reduced to basic datatypes, and I cannot
> > define the range of a property as double.
> >
> > This particularly leads to the situation, when all instances,
> > having datatype properties of xsd:double, are in "red box", when
> > open the Instances Tab.
>
> Only basic datatypes are visible by default - you can activate other
> datatypes by going to the OWL Preferences Dialog and checking the
> datatypes that you want to see in the UI.

I guessed the "double" is in default. That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

> > Moreover, the precision of float is smaller then declared in
> > XMLSchema, so I can declare 2E38, but 2E39 leads to "infinity"
> > value, but the declared bounds for E in float are [-149,+104].
>

> > Is this a bug?
>
> No.
>
> *Please read the spec again*.  The spec states that a value space for
> a float is m * 2^e
>
> where m is a maximum of 2^24
>
> and e is a maxim of 104
>
> This give a maximum float values of   2^24 * 2^104 = 3.40282E38 -
> i.e. 2E39 is greater than the maximum float --- no bug here.

Yes, I re-calculated that yesterday. Thanks again and sorry for troubles.

Natalya

infinity_finity_any_value

Ronnie Valkky

In Protege OWL 2**129=6.80564734E38 results to value Infinity
when using property editor and keying in allowed range value 6.80564734E38
you'll get Infinity
~ right ?

In Java (32-bit) a too big floating point number value such as 6.80564734 ×
10E38 results to infinity
although value itself is finite value
~ right ?

 In mathematics 2 ** 129 = 6.80564734 × 10E38 = finite value = being
completely counted
for example, try with browser at
http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&q=2**129&meta= 6.80564734E38 = finite
value
~ right ?

What is the allowed range value and in which context ?
~ any value ?
~ infinity ?
~ finity ?
~ other, what ?

Ronnie

Re: Protege-OWL API - Warnings

Nick Drummond
Javi,

Am I right in assuming most of the warnings are about deprecated methods?
This is ProtegeOWL trying to hide the core frames API and should not
affect your code currently.
At some point this needs tidying up - it is on the todo list :)

Nick

Francisco Javier Salas wrote:

>Hi :)
>
>I'm using the Protégé-OWL API to manage my own owl model. I've implemented a
>java file using this API and all it's ok. However, I retrieve many warnings
>when I execute my java class. How can I delete this warnings? (i'm using
>protege 3.2)
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>.javi

Nick Drummond

Re: infinity_finity_any_value

Rinke Hoekstra-3
Ronnie, could you please not post the same (or rather similar) question
in two different threads? This confuses me.

As I said in my replies to your messages, the Protege-OWL editor
complies with the standards set in the OWL/RDF/XML specifications. If
you have questions with respect to the technical and implementation
issues involved in these languages I suggest (as I have suggested
before) you take a look at these specifications first.

-Rinke

Ronnie Valkky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Protege OWL 2**129=6.80564734E38 results to value Infinity
> when using property editor and keying in allowed range value 6.80564734E38
> you'll get Infinity
> ~ right ?
>
> In Java (32-bit) a too big floating point number value such as 6.80564734 ×
> 10E38 results to infinity
> although value itself is finite value
> ~ right ?
>
>  In mathematics 2 ** 129 = 6.80564734 × 10E38 = finite value = being
> completely counted
> for example, try with browser at
> http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&q=2**129&meta= 6.80564734E38 = finite
> value
> ~ right ?
>
> What is the allowed range value and in which context ?
> ~ any value ?
> ~ infinity ?
> ~ finity ?
> ~ other, what ?
>
> Ronnie

--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

Re: Protege-OWL API - Warnings

Francisco Javier Salas

Nick,

Thanks for your answer. I'm interested in not showing the report messages.
For instance, the set of "configs", "warnings", "protegeOwlParser", etc. I
would like to deactive the protege logger. It is possible? How can i do it?

It's an example of a possible executon:

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

CONFIG: Protege 3.2 Build 241, JVM 1.5.0_05-b05, memory=66M, Windows XP,
encoding=UTF-8, language=es, country=ES
WARNING: Look and feel not found:
com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel --
SystemUtilities.setLookAndFeel()
WARNING: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/nwoods/jgo/JGoDocument --
PluginUtilities.isLoadableClass()
WARNING: missing bundle: standard_extensions_text -- BundleHelper.<init>()
WARNING: no resource bundle: tab.queries -- BundleHelper.internalGetText()
[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing http://www.owl-ontologies.com/eokes.owl (from
D:\Mis documentos\Ontologias\EO-KES Enero 2006\eokes.owl)
[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/owlImport-7/c
ore-owl-dl.rdf (from
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/owlImport-7/c
ore-owl-dl.rdf [actual ontology at this location: null])
[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/dc/protege-dc.owl
[ProtegeOWLParser] Completed triple loading after 104719 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed lists after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed anonymous classes after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed deprecated classes after 15 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed properties after 63 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed named classes after 15 ms

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Thanks,

.javi
Am I right in assuming most of the warnings are about deprecated methods?
This is ProtegeOWL trying to hide the core frames API and should not affect
your code currently.
At some point this needs tidying up - it is on the todo list :)

Nick

Francisco Javier Salas wrote:

>Hi :)
>
>I'm using the Protégé-OWL API to manage my own owl model. I've
>implemented a java file using this API and all it's ok. However, I
>retrieve many warnings when I execute my java class. How can I delete
>this warnings? (i'm using protege 3.2)
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>.javi

Nick Drummond

[protege-owl] Re: Protege-OWL API - Warnings

Nick Drummond
javi,

Sorry I misread your email - I thought you were talking about compile
time warnings.
Do you really want to hide the warnings?
Several of these sound like missing files in your runtime version -
looks.jar, standard extensions plugin etc
You could pipe them to a file or something if you want to hide them from
a user.

Nick

Francisco Javier Salas wrote:

>Nick,
>
>Thanks for your answer. I'm interested in not showing the report messages.
>For instance, the set of "configs", "warnings", "protegeOwlParser", etc. I
>would like to deactive the protege logger. It is possible? How can i do it?
>

>It's an example of a possible executon:
>
>*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
>
>CONFIG: Protege 3.2 Build 241, JVM 1.5.0_05-b05, memory=66M, Windows XP,
>encoding=UTF-8, language=es, country=ES
>WARNING: Look and feel not found:
>com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel --
>SystemUtilities.setLookAndFeel()
>WARNING: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/nwoods/jgo/JGoDocument --
>PluginUtilities.isLoadableClass()
>WARNING: missing bundle: standard_extensions_text -- BundleHelper.<init>()
>WARNING: no resource bundle: tab.queries -- BundleHelper.internalGetText()
>[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing http://www.owl-ontologies.com/eokes.owl (from
>D:\Mis documentos\Ontologias\EO-KES Enero 2006\eokes.owl)
>[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
>http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/owlImport-7/c
>ore-owl-dl.rdf (from
>http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/owlImport-7/c
>ore-owl-dl.rdf [actual ontology at this location: null])
>[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
>http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/dc/protege-dc.owl
>[ProtegeOWLParser] Completed triple loading after 104719 ms
>[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed lists after 0 ms
>[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed anonymous classes after 0 ms
>[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed deprecated classes after 15 ms
>[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed properties after 63 ms
>[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed named classes after 15 ms
>
>*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
>
>Thanks,
>
>.javi

Hi Javi

Some of these warnings go to System.out or System.err - these need
tidying up and sending to a logger.  It's on the todo.

On 2 Feb 2006, at 10:55, Nick Drummond wrote:

> javi,
>
> Sorry I misread your email - I thought you were talking about
> compile time warnings.
> Do you really want to hide the warnings?
> Several of these sound like missing files in your runtime version -
> looks.jar, standard extensions plugin etc
> You could pipe them to a file or something if you want to hide them
> from a user.
>
> Nick
>
> Francisco Javier Salas wrote:
>
>> Nick,
>>
>> Thanks for your answer. I'm interested in not showing the report
>> messages.
>> For instance, the set of "configs", "warnings",
>> "protegeOwlParser", etc. I
>> would like to deactive the protege logger. It is possible? How can
>> i do it?
>>

>> It's an example of a possible executon:
>>
>> *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
>>
>> CONFIG: Protege 3.2 Build 241, JVM 1.5.0_05-b05, memory=66M,
>> Windows XP,
>> encoding=UTF-8, language=es, country=ES
>> WARNING: Look and feel not found:
>> com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel --
>> SystemUtilities.setLookAndFeel()
>> WARNING: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/nwoods/jgo/
>> JGoDocument --
>> PluginUtilities.isLoadableClass()
>> WARNING: missing bundle: standard_extensions_text --
>> BundleHelper.<init>()
>> WARNING: no resource bundle: tab.queries --
>> BundleHelper.internalGetText()
>> [ProtegeOWLParser] Importing http://www.owl-ontologies.com/
>> eokes.owl (from
>> D:\Mis documentos\Ontologias\EO-KES Enero 2006\eokes.owl)
>> [ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
>> http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/
>> owlImport-7/c
>> ore-owl-dl.rdf (from
>> http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/
>> owlImport-7/c
>> ore-owl-dl.rdf [actual ontology at this location: null])
>> [ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
>> http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/dc/protege-dc.owl
>> [ProtegeOWLParser] Completed triple loading after 104719 ms
>> [TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed lists after 0 ms
>> [TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed anonymous classes after 0 ms
>> [TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed deprecated classes after 15 ms
>> [TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed properties after 63 ms
>> [TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed named classes after 15 ms
>> *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> .javi

[protege-owl] Protege-OWL-API

Francisco Javier Salas
Hi :)

We use the Protégé-OWL-API as a Java Library (protege 3.2). We use this API
for loading, creating OWL Files and manipulating OWL data models. Protégé
loads some plugins when we execute our code and this process takes some time
in a standard computer (3-4 seconds).  We think that this process is so slow
because Protege uploads the needed plugins. How we can reduce the creation
process time?

Thanks in advance

.javi

[protege-owl] Re: Protege-OWL-API

Ronnie Valkky
Hi javi,

One of the many things you can do is to tune your computer system.
The following worked for me:
1. tuned file %protegeHome%\Protege.lax as follows:
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.initial=100m
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=256m
lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Xss256k

2. Protege OWL software is in the different hard drive than java.exe and OWL
models

3. I Tuned OS environment; things such as virtual memory handling..

Do you use threading in your java/other software and how  ?

How big are these OWL files ?
Hai Wang has reported the following:
"Performance to load an ontology is roughly 100 classes per second on
a modern machine" and "if your machine got 2G RAM, normally you
can load the OWL file up to 40M file size. (On average, it takes 1K
per class and it means that the ontology contains 40000 classes )."

Is this delay due to file and/or software loading into memory ?

Are you saying that you can not prevent already loaded software component to
be loaded again ?

What are your response time requirements and for what ?

Cheers,
Ronnie

> We use the Protégé-OWL-API as a Java Library (protege 3.2). We use this
API
> for loading, creating OWL Files and manipulating OWL data models. Protégé
> loads some plugins when we execute our code and this process takes some
time
> in a standard computer (3-4 seconds).  We think that this process is so
slow

> because Protege uploads the needed plugins. How we can reduce the creation
> process time?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> .javi

[protege-owl] Re: Protege-OWL-API

cburleso

Try this, it may be your solution...:

If you want to use these classes inside a web application, or if you want to use these classes with a performance boost, you have to modify the Protege main code in two parts. Go to the class: edu.stanford.smi.protege.util.SystemUtilities and comment out the init() statement in the initializer (the static part of the class).

Go to the class:
edu.stanford.smi.protege.plugin.PluginUtilities and do the same.

Now you can compile the downloaded sources and your environment is ready.

See:
Protege Wiki, HowToUseProtegeOWLPluginAsAnAPI
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HowToUseProtegeOWLPluginAsAnAPI

Cody Burleson

"Francisco Javier Salas" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

02/09/2006 01:07 PM

Please respond to

<[hidden email]>