Displaying Inferred Inverse Properties in a Class Definition

Displaying Inferred Inverse Properties in a Class Definition

Jos Lehmann-2
Hi there

Is it possible, after running the reasoner, to see in a class definition its inferred inverse properties?

E.g.:

1- if the asserted ontology contains definitions:
I. class A isPartOf some class B
II. hasPart inverseOf isPartOf

2- will the inferred ontology contain:
I. class B hasPart class A

If yes, 2-I. does not seem to be diplayed in Protege. Is there an option to display 2-I. in the inferred definition of B?

If no, why not?

Thanks, Jos Lehmann

Re: Displaying Inferred Inverse Properties in a Class Definition

samsontu
Hi,

If (class A isPartOf some class B), it’s not necessarily true that (class B hasPart some class B), even though isPartOf and hasPart are inverse properties of each other, as there may be some individuals of class B that does not contain an individual of class A.

If an individual a of class A isPartOf an individual b of class B, and isPartOf and hasPart are inverses, then (b hasPart a) is true.

With best regards,
Samson

On Oct 11, 2018, at 9:02 AM, Jos Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi there

Is it possible, after running the reasoner, to see in a class definition its inferred inverse properties?

E.g.:

1- if the asserted ontology contains definitions:
I. class A isPartOf some class B
II. hasPart inverseOf isPartOf

2- will the inferred ontology contain:
I. class B hasPart class A

If yes, 2-I. does not seem to be diplayed in Protege. Is there an option to display 2-I. in the inferred definition of B?

If no, why not?

Thanks, Jos Lehmann

Re: Displaying Inferred Inverse Properties in a Class Definition

Jos Lehmann-2

Hi there

Thank you both for your help. Yes, I had the configuration option checked. Three follow-up questions:

Question A:

Is Samson’s answer true for all quantifiers (consider e.g. „only“ instead of „some“)? (I assume the answer is yes)

E.G. Would the following version of my KB yield correct propagation of inverse object properties in the T-Box:

1- if the asserted ontology contains definitions:

I. class A isPartOf only class B

II. hasPart inverseOf isPartOf

2- will the inferred ontology contain:

I. class B hasPart some class A

Question B:

Is Samson’s answer true for all asserted directions of the relation? (I assume the answer is yes)

E.G. Would either of the following two versions (first with some, second with only) of my KB yield correct propagation of inverse relations in the T-Box:

3- if the asserted ontology contains definitions:

I. class B hasPart some class A

II. isPartOf  inverseOf hasPart

4- will the inferred ontology contain:

I. class A isPartOf  some class B

5- if the asserted ontology contains definitions:

I. class B hasPart only class A

II. isPartOf  inverseOf hasPart

6- will the inferred ontology contain:

I. class A isPartOf  some class B

Question C:

If none of the above would work, is there any other modeling practice to make sure that inverse object (and other) properties are propagated by the reasoner in the T-Box?

Cheers, Jos

Re: Displaying Inferred Inverse Properties in a Class Definition

samsontu
The answers to your 2 questions are both “yes”.  None of your examples will give you the propagation you want, because such propagation is incorrect in OWL’s logic model. Think about the axioms in terms of individuals of classes A and B. (class A isPartOf only class B) means that for all individuals a (member of class A) and b, if (a isPartOf b) then b is a member of class B. The propagation you want simply does not follow from such an axiom,

With best regards,
Samson

On Oct 12, 2018, at 1:08 AM, Jos Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Campbell, James R

Samson

I have a problem with Protege-Windows interaction.  At home I use a two screen system and in recent history the command prompt screen for Protege launched on screen 1 and I moved the client to window 2 for readability.  I went on the road and did a demo but had only screen 1 functional, screen 2 was back home.   Protege launched with the command screen visible on the monitor but the Protege client was not accessible.  It clearly showed as an active session on the task bar but when I alt-tabbed to that session, it clearly seemed to be presenting in virtual reality on the absent screen 2.  When I got home I tried configuring windows 10 only for screen 1 display, but get the same behavior EVEN AFTER reinstalling the Protege 5.5.3 software.  I cannot access preferences or any other client features.  No other windows software behaves this way

Jim

[...]

The information in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the addressee(s) above. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete it and immediately contact the sender.

Protege GUI apparently displaying in absent window in Windows 10

samsontu
Hi Jim,

On Oct 13, 2018, at 12:00 PM, Campbell, James R <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jim,

I don’t have a Windows 10 system where I can reproduce your problem. However, the following message may be applicable in your situation:

From: Csongor Nyulas <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [protege-user] 5.1.0 on Windows 10 no longer working
Date: November 3, 2016 at 10:53:55 AM PDT
To: User support for WebProtege and Protege Desktop <[hidden email]>

Also, have you, by any chance, used multiple screens at some point? Sometimes Protege can appear on a different screen which you used earlier, but it is not there any more. In such cases I will try to move the Protege window on a visible screen by using key shortcuts to get to the application window's menu. These are the shortcut keys that work on Windows and Ubuntu:
    Alt + Space : opens the application window menu
    M : selectes the "Move" menu item
    use your mouse to move the window from the invisible screen to the visible one (make long moves to the left, right, up and down).

Csongor

On Nov 2, 2016, at 10:52 AM, Craig Bliss <[hidden email]> wrote:

Even after downloading the latest version of Protégé, the application no longer works on Windows 10. I am using the run.bat file, which executes without error, and am even presented the prompt window to update plug-ins. And, the application seems to be loaded and running (i.e., Protégé is visible in Task Manager) and appears “open” on the Windows Task Bar. However, when clicking on the application icon on the Task Bar does not display the UI.

Any thoughts?

Re: Protege GUI apparently displaying in absent window in Windows 10

Campbell, James R

Thanks Samson!

That did allow me to move my session window onto the active screen and continue with my work.  I neveer would have figured that out.

Noticing the date of the message from Csongor, is it not reasonable that the Protege team would have looked at the problem by now and come up with a fix?  I can guarantee that it is a recurring issue.

Jim

Re: Protege GUI apparently displaying in absent window in Windows 10

samsontu
Jim,

Glad that the workaround solves your problem.

I’ve created an issue (#804) on the Protege GitHub issue tracker for this problem.

With best regards,
Samson