Displaying subtype and attribute-based relationships in a single hierarchy

Displaying subtype and attribute-based relationships in a single hierarchy

ColinM
Hi,

Is it possible in Protege 5.0.0 to display a hierarchy of classes that conflates the main subtype hierarchy with a hierarchy based on an object property? I'm thinking of the way ChEBI displays subtypes of drug classes intermixed with drugs that possess a <hasRole> relationship with those classes (see screenshot below).ChEBI uses icons to distinguish between <isA> and <hasRole>. I'd like to create something similar in Protege.

Thanks.

Re: Displaying subtype and attribute-based relationships in a single hierarchy

Lorenz Buehmann
By "possible" you mean writing a plugin? If yes, why not. It's just Java Swing + using OWL API as the OWL layer

<http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/init.do>   displays subtypes of drug classes
intermixed with drugs that possess a <hasRole> relationship with those
classes (see screenshot below).ChEBI uses icons to distinguish between <isA>
and <hasRole>. I'd like to create something similar in Protege.

Thanks.

<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4667924/ChEBI.jpg>

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Displaying subtype and attribute-based relationships in a single hierarchy

Chris Mungall-2

There is already the existential parent plugin, but AFAICT this does not allow mixing of SubClassOf with existentials.

A plugin like this would be hugely useful for communities like the bio-ontologies community who are accustomed to navigating views of the entire SubClassOf graph (SubClassOf between named classes, or between named classes and simple existential constructs). Partonomies are often as important as the taxonomy. See the OLS for an OWL based viewer that gets this right, e.g: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ols/ontologies/uberon

On 26 Mar 2017, at 23:11, Lorenz B. wrote:

[...]

Thanks Lorenz and Chris for your thoughts - interesting comments. At least I now know I'm not missing an existing feature.