Does SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

Raj M Verma
hi list,

1. Does the logic SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

2. It is possible to use transitive roles in Protege Owl ontologies, but, does OWL-DL permit to use the transitive roles? If yes, can we use transitive roles in role hierarchies? I think role hierarchies is all about making use of this transitive property with roles, isn't it?

thanq,
Raj.

Re: Does SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

John Goodwin
1) I think so - but I'll let a properly DLer confirm as I've yet to learn what all these letters mean :)

2) Yes. Not sure what you mean about role hierarchies though. In OWL DL we can say

hasFather -> hasParent (simple role hierarchy)

we can say

hasParent -> hasAncestor and make "hasAncestor" transitive. We could also make "hasParent" transitive - although that not conceptually correct.

we can't say things like:

owns o partOf -> owns (where partOf is transitive). This means if you own a part you own the whole. This is coming in OWL1.1

John

1. Does the logic SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

2. It is possible to use transitive roles in Protege Owl ontologies, but, does OWL-DL permit to use the transitive roles? If yes, can we use transitive roles in role hierarchies? I think role hierarchies is all about making use of this transitive property with roles, isn't it?

thanq,
Raj.
.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU
Tel: 023 8079 2000
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Re: Does SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

Ulrike Sattler

On 28 Mar 2006, at 14:00, John Goodwin wrote:

1) I think so - but I'll let a properly DLer confirm as I've yet to learn what all these letters mean :)

indeed: SHOIN(D) has transitive roles, and the "S" in its name indicates this (ie, also SHIF, SHOQ, etc have transitive roles)

2) Yes. Not sure what you mean about role hierarchies though. In OWL DL we can say

hasFather -> hasParent (simple role hierarchy)

we can say

hasParent -> hasAncestor and make "hasAncestor" transitive. We could also make "hasParent" transitive - although that not conceptually correct.

we can't say things like:

owns o partOf -> owns (where partOf is transitive). This means if you own a part you own the whole. This is coming in OWL1.1

John

1. Does the logic SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

2. It is possible to use transitive roles in Protege Owl ontologies, but, does OWL-DL permit to use the transitive roles?

yes, see above

If yes, can we use transitive roles in role hierarchies?

yes, we can, and we can do this in both directions:

we can say that hasAncestor is
- transitive and
- a super-role of hasParent and
-  a sub-role of hasRelative

However, in number restrictions (present in SHOIN(D) as indicated by "N"), only *simple* roles are allowed, ie, those that don't have transitive (direct or indirect) sub-roles

I think role hierarchies is all about making use of this transitive property with roles, isn't it?
no, not only: they also make sense without transitivity:

eg, (some hasDaughter Blond) and (all hasChild Not Blond) is consistent, but becomes inconsistent in the (additional) presence of

hasDaughter -> hasChild

Cheers, Uli

Re: Does SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

Massimo Coletti
John Goodwin ha scritto:
> 1) I think so - but I'll let a properly DLer confirm as I've yet to
> learn what all these letters mean :)
Maybe a short table helps:

AL families of description logic
__________________________
(atomic concept, universal/top concept, bottom concept, negation,
conjunction, value restriction, existential quantification-limited)
C: concept negation
V: disjunction
E: existential quantification
N: number restriction
Q: qualified number restriction
R: role conjunction
I: inverse roles
H: role hierarchy
F: feature disagreement

SH families of description logic
_______________________

S: ALC + transitive roles
O: concept enumeration
I: inverse roles
H: role hierarchy
Q: qualified number restriction
(D): datatypes and values

Cheers,

Massimo

Re: Does SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

John Goodwin

Thanks Massimo.  I'm familiar with all of these except

F: feature disagreement.

Any DLers care to shed some light on that one?

.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU
Tel: 023 8079 2000
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Re: Does SHOIN(D) have transitive roles?

Ulrike Sattler
sure: in the past, "F" has been used for 2-3 different things (ie, it
is one of the few letters in DL names where you have to ask/check for
its meaning):

1) functional roles: we can make statements such as Functional(R)
which then means that R has to be interpreted as a (partial)
function. This is the same as making the statement

subClassOf(thing (atmost 1 R))

2) functional number restrictions: for R a property, (atmost 1 R) is
a concept. Ie, you can use "Parent and (atmost 1 hasChild") to
describe parent of only childrens...when we have negation, then this
means we also have (atleast 2 R), and it is not hard to see that (2)
is stronger than (1)

3)  feature (dis)agreement: here, you have, in your signaturs, a
special set of  (a) functional role names, and (b) you allow concepts
of the form

f1...fn = g1....gm

for f1,...,fn and g1,...,gm functional role names. An individual x is
an instance of f1...fn = g1....gm  is its f1...fn-successor coincides
with its  g1....gm-successor (and both of them exist). We can use
this, eg, to describe people whose mother is a spouse of their boss:

boss marriedTo = father

And, again, with negation, we can then have feature disagreement.

Cheers, Uli

On 30 Mar 2006, at 14:18, John Goodwin wrote:

> Thanks Massimo.  I'm familiar with all of these except
>
> F: feature disagreement.
>
> Any DLers care to shed some light on that one?

Thanks Uli.

John