Doesn't Inference work in SPALQL tab in Protege?

Doesn't Inference work in SPALQL tab in Protege?

Ling
Hello, I have a simple test ontology as below:

:Obama    rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual ; :bornIn :Honolulu .
:Honolulu rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual ; :partOf :Hawaii .
:Hawaii   rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual ; :partOf :USA .
:USA      rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual .

:bornIn rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty ; owl:propertyChainAxiom ( :bornIn :partOf ) .

:partOf rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .

Through inference, Obama is born in Honolulu & Hawaii & USA. I can see this inferred knowledge in the Individuals tab in Protege. However, in the SPALQL, even if "Show inference" is checked, the following query still only returns "Honolulu" as the answer, no inferred facts:

SELECT ?o
WHERE { br:Obama br:bornIn ?o}

Why doesn't the inference doesn't show?

And I have the 2nd question. If I want to answer the question of "Who is Obama"? I issue the following query:

SELECT ?p ?o
WHERE { br:Obama ?p ?o}

The answer is:
rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual
br:bornIn br:Honolulu
rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual

Why is "rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual" repeated twice?

Thanks for help.
Ling

Re: Doesn't Inference work in SPALQL tab in Protege?

samsontu

On Jan 1, 2018, at 11:23 AM, Ling <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, I have a simple test ontology as below:

:Obama    rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual ; :bornIn :Honolulu .
:Honolulu rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual ; :partOf :Hawaii .
:Hawaii   rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual ; :partOf :USA .
:USA      rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual .

:bornIn rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty ; owl:propertyChainAxiom ( :bornIn :partOf ) .

:partOf rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .

Through inference, Obama is born in Honolulu & Hawaii & USA. I can see this inferred knowledge in the Individuals tab in Protege. However, in the SPALQL, even if "Show inference" is checked, the following query still only returns "Honolulu" as the answer, no inferred facts:

SELECT ?o
WHERE { br:Obama br:bornIn ?o}

Why doesn't the inference doesn't show?

Because the SPARQL Query tab is not designed to display inferred axioms.

To see inferred axioms, use the Snap SPARQL Query view.

With best regards,
Samson

Re: Doesn't Inference work in SPALQL tab in Protege?

Ling
Hi, Samson:

I copied the "snap-sparql-query-plugin.jar"  from https://github.com/protegeproject/autoupdate/tree/master/snap-sparql-query/5.0.1 into the plugins/ directory, and I started Protege 5.2, I received this issue message:

The OSGi framework has been initialised
Could not parse plugins/snap-sparql-query-plugin.jar as plugin/bundle because the manifest.mf file is not present.

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 9:23 PM, Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Try to install snap-sparql-query plugin using Protege’s File/check for plugins… menu item.

With best regards,
Samson