Dynamic Ontology

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye
Dear All:

Has anybody done some research work on dynamic ontology? Kindly let me know.

Kofi Nyamekye, PhD

Re: Dynamic Ontology

Alex Shkotin
Dear Kofi,

it would be nice if you point out an application area or domain for Dynamic Ontology.
Dynamic of what?

Alex

ср, 3 окт. 2018 г. в 23:14, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye <[hidden email]>:
Dear All:

Has anybody done some research work on dynamic ontology? Kindly let me know.

Kofi Nyamekye, PhD

Re: Dynamic Ontology

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye
Alex:

Thanks for your feedback.
An application area for Dynamic Ontology, will be operations and supply chain management  (OSMC).

As an example, let's consider hurricane's Harvey massive destruction of many small and medium-sized value chain (SMVC) members of an OEM (original equipment manufacturer). Prior to Harvey's disaster, research scientists in  OSCM  never envisioned that  the SMVC members that are in active hurricane regions could suffer massive losses from such a natural disaster. A dynamic ontology approach can be extremely helpful to predict the impact of such a natural disaster on the OSMC of the (SMVC) members and suggest some remedial actions.

The Tsunami that wiped out many of Toyota's (SMVC) members, is another example. By the way, Toyota is an OEM,
We can get into much details, if needed, perhaps through private emails.

Cheers,

Kofi .

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 5:20 AM Alex Shkotin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Kofi,

it would be nice if you point out an application area or domain for Dynamic Ontology.
Dynamic of what?

Alex

ср, 3 окт. 2018 г. в 23:14, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye <[hidden email]>:
Dear All:

Has anybody done some research work on dynamic ontology? Kindly let me know.

Kofi Nyamekye, PhD

Re: Dynamic Ontology

Alex Shkotin
Kofi,

I got it and I do not have this kind of ontology. Try https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ontolog-forum where there are a lot of experts in different application areas.

Alex

пт, 5 окт. 2018 г. в 17:59, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Thank you. Will try the ontolog-forum group.

Kofi

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 10:37 AM Alex Shkotin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Luis Enrique Ramos García
Dear Kofi,

Here you can find some related research:

Best regards

Luis Ramos

El vie., 5 oct. 2018 a las 14:15, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

Luis:

Thank you. I will check the link out.

Kofi

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 6:07 AM Luis Enrique Ramos García <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alex Jouravlev
Kofi, I don't understand why you need a dynamic ontology for that.

You have your ontology defining OSCM. I assume it would allow description of some factors disrupting your Supply Chain.

Harvey struck. You use another Ontology, covering disaster management and response, to describe the effect. You either use elements from both ontologies, or create new Classes and Properties deriving them from Classes an Properties of both Ontologies.

You do not want to describe hurricanes in an Ontology covering OSCM.

And you definitely don't want to change your ontology dynamically just because of a hurricane.

Alex Jouravlev
Director, Business Abstraction Pty Ltd
Phone:       +61-(2)-8003-4830
Mobile:     +61-4-0408-3258
Web: http://www.businessabstraction.com
LinkedIn: http://au.linkedin.com/in/alexjouravlev/

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 01:00, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The problem is much more complex than you envisioned. This particular research problem is an extension of the previous US Army Phase I award which my firm received in 2010. For proprietary reasons, I cannot give you the details. I can only give a brief overview of what is already in the public domain.

The research area falls under the Missions and Means Framework (MMF) and its associated Multi-Threaded Missions and Means Framework (MTTMMF research topics. If you do Google search you should find something about both topics.

On the battlefield, especially in counter insurgency missions, the enemy is continuously changing its tactics. Thus, the firefighter's mission must also change, which will also involve the War-fighter's supporting infrastructure (the value system or OSCM)  mission to change.   The thinking here is to adapt such a concept to OSCM, with respect to natural disasters.  I understand it might be a bit challenging to visualize the research issue, but that is what I mean, from the previous narrative.

Best Regards,

Kofi

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Alex Jouravlev <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In the link I sent you, you can find related research, however I wonder if you aim at working in a multiontology enviroment?, or you aim at merging ontologies?. You should take in account that OWL is based in monotonic logic, and that trying to reasoning in a multiontology enviroment, in the best of my knowledge,  is an issue to date.

Mi phd research deals with such scenario, working in the known hyperontology

Best regards

Luis Ramos

El sáb., 6 oct. 2018 a las 14:40, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

Thank you again. I have downloaded your research publication -- Toward Dynamic Ontologies for the Industrial Manufacturing Domain. I will read it and get back to you soon. Then we take it from there.

Cheers.

Kofi

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 5:36 AM Luis Enrique Ramos García <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In one word - no, you get it wrong.

You do not change your ontology when you enemy is changing your tactic, you only change it when the enemy is changing their paradigm. Ontology is there to describe the universe you operate within.

If by "changing ontology" you mean changing Individuals, then it is easy - treat individuals as data rather than ontology. If you mean adding new assertions in order to define new Classes

I reviewed http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a562548.pdf, which is as I understand that MTTMMF foundation work. I understand why there is so much desire to generate your ontologies on the fly, however a lot can be done before that. Sorry, I am a practitioner, not an academic, so I believe in superiority of delivery to the client.

Happy to share information on automated generation of ontologies though. An exciting area.

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 05:40, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rob Rovetto
A couple of thoughts...

1) More than one person in industry and elsewhere have expressed to me that the problem with ontologies is that they are static, that once made and implemented they are rarely changed. And that their projects need a framework that can change.
That is one sense of a 'dynamic'... a dynamic ontology is one that can change.

It's an interesting topic, and there are publications on it.

2) Regarding this thread, it depends on what the contributors mean by 'dynamic ontology'

Best,
Robert
--
Seeking opportunities (studentship or employment)
Selected Affiliations (unfunded):

Project (seeking opportunities/funding for):
Orbital Space Domain Ontology and Taxonomy Project

Publications:
Google Scholar
,
ORCID Profile, ResearcherID
Ask to connect on LinkedIn and ResearchGate
Academia.edu Profile
, DBLP Comp Sci, Philpapers

Re: Dynamic Ontology

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye
Alex:

I don't think you still get it! My advice to you is to understand  the "domain" of counterinsurgency  (COIN) operations. Extensive peer-reviewed publications exist on counterinsurgency (COIN) operations in the Proceedings of ICCRTS (International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium). That will help you to understand how insurgents operate.

A somewhat related peer-reviewed publication on anti-terrorism, which Dr. Vladimir Lefebvre  and I published -- Lefebvre and Nyamekye --, would also be helpful to you.

Kofi Nyamekye, PhD

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:35 AM Alex Jouravlev <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have read your research publication -- Toward Dynamic Ontologies for the Industrial Manufacturing Domain. Your publication is very intriguing! In fact, it is a small-scale model of the dynamic ontology for OSCM model. Most importantly, it fits the MTMMF model which I noted in my previous emails.

I think it will be useful for both of us to have private communications about this research topic.  I already have your local email address through your previous emails -

I believe that you also have my email address through my emails and of course from this email.

I look forward to having private communications with you. Please let me know, if you prefer using a different email address. In the meantime , I will send you a copy of this email to your local email address.

Cheers,

Kofi