Eclipse & Protege: Which versions are most people using for development?

Eclipse & Protege: Which versions are most people using for development?

BassMan123
I'm looking into getting started with Protege/Jena development on Eclipse.  In looking at the Wiki (http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeDevDocsGeneral), it sounds like the Subclipse plugin is recommended.

Question: What version of a) Eclipse and b) Protege (3.4 or 4) are most people using these days?

Protege 3.4 seems much faster and more stable than Protege 4, but I believe the Protege 4 API is much cleaner...

Re: Eclipse & Protege: Which versions are most people using for development?

Timothy Redmond

> Protege 3.4 seems much faster and more stable than Protege 4,

I don't think that I would agree with either conclusion.  Protege 4
can load somewhat large ontologies (e.g. the NCI Thesaurus) very
quickly.

> but I believe
> the Protege 4 API is much cleaner...

Yes the Protege 4 API is much cleaner.

The main motivation for using Protege 3.4 is that it might still have
some capabilities that do not exist yet in Protege 4.  But as time
goes on this is becoming less and less of an issue and it is already
true that there are several things in Protege 4 that have no analogue
in Protege 3.4.  If you are doing development I would hope that you
start with Protege 4.

As for Eclipse it is a wonderful tool and the latest works great.
Don't so get caught up in the choice of ide that you forget the java.

-Timothy

On May 18, 2009, at 6:38 AM, BassMan123 wrote:

> I'm looking into getting started with Protege/Jena development on
> Eclipse.
> In looking at the Wiki (
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeDevDocsGeneral
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeDevDocsGeneral ),
> it sounds
> like the Subclipse plugin is recommended.
>
> Question: What version of a) Eclipse and b) Protege (3.4 or 4) are
> most
> people using these days?
>
> Protege 3.4 seems much faster and more stable than Protege 4, but I
> believe
> the Protege 4 API is much cleaner...

Re: Eclipse & Protege: Which versions are most people using for development?

BassMan123
> Protege 4 can load somewhat large ontologies (e.g. the NCI Thesaurus) very quickly.

Excellent!  Assuming you mean EVS, I definately want to load that, and v3 had "issues" unless I played with the heap.

> As for Eclipse it is a wonderful tool and the latest works great.
> Don't so get caught up in the choice of ide that you forget the java.

So the latest 3.4 Eclipse works OK?  I'm only asking because I tried 3.4 with DROOLS (whatever they renamed it to) a couple of months back, and much to my surprise, it only supported the older version 3.3.