Editing imported ontologies

mdw

Editing imported ontologies

mdw

I have an ontology with associated instance data split between two files, with the master (root) file containing the instance data (NamedIndividuals) and importing the OWL definitions contained in a second file. When I opened the master file and renamed a property and then saved the ontology, I saw that Protégé did what I expected in that the property name was updated correctly in the class definition file while the uses of the property were correctly updated in the master file. However, I also noticed the following unexpected changes:

  • "rdf:type" was changed to the equivalent "a"
  • the handling of comments was changed, in that a single comment line of the form
    ### {URL of a property/class}
    became
    #
    # {URL}
  • OWL restrictions that were previously expressed in the form
    [ rdf:type owl:AllDisjointProperties ; owl:members ( :XXX ) ] .
    were rewritten to be of the form:
    _:genid1 a owl:AllDisjointProperties ; owl:members _:genid2 . _:genid2 a rdf:List ; rdf:first :XXX; rdf:rest rdf:nil .

Is this behavior intended? It makes doing a diff difficult.

I understand that if I need to add a new class/property, I should directly edit the imported ontology. However, if I wish to rename an existing term, if I were to first edit the imported ontology file, it would then leave orphans in the instance data which I would have to manually clean up.

What is the best/recommended way to manage a mixture of OWL and instance data using Protégé?

mdw

Re: Editing imported ontologies

mdw
I neglected to mention that the ontology was previously edited with Protege,
before being split apart, so I was surprised that it would change its own
formatting; presumably it has something to do with the file being an import?