Errors loading FOAF into Protege

Michael DeBellis-2
I know this is really a question for the people who maintain the ontology and I'm going to email them as well but this is such a common ontology I thought I would post a question here in case someone else has seen this and knows what's going on. I'm trying to re-use the Friend of a Friend ontology. To start I just downloaded the ontology to my local drive. Then I did an import of that ontology into mine. There were errors but as I looked at them they seemed to be caused by the FOAF ontology itself not by the integration with my ontology. So I loaded the FOAF ontology into Protege and saw the same errors. I'm using the ontology that can be found here: http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/vocabs/foaf and I've also attached it to this file.

The errors I get are:

  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/aimChatID in punning not allowed [Declaration(ObjectProperty()), Declaration(DataProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/icqChatID in punning not allowed [Declaration(ObjectProperty()), Declaration(DataProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/jabberID in punning not allowed [Declaration(ObjectProperty()), Declaration(DataProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox_sha1sum in punning not allowed [Declaration(DataProperty()), Declaration(ObjectProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/skypeID in punning not allowed [Declaration(DataProperty()), Declaration(ObjectProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name in punning not allowed [Declaration(DataProperty()), Declaration(AnnotationProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/yahooChatID in punning not allowed [Declaration(ObjectProperty()), Declaration(DataProperty())]
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1523463429885 Message: Illegal redeclarations of entities: reuse of entity http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/msnChatID in punning not allowed [Declaration(DataProperty()), Declaration(ObjectProperty())]

I think what is going on is that all the properties mentioned are defined in the FOAF ontology as both object properties and data properties.  My fix idea is to just delete the object properties (for my needs having them as data properties is fine, I don't think I even need these but I want to leave the ontology as consistent with the standard as possible).

Has anyone else experienced this or knows why the ontology is like this? Also, I notice they have a class called rdfs:Class.   Why would this be needed since it just comes with OWL. Perhaps the ontology is meant to be used for those just using RDF and they don't want to assume that OWL is available? In which case would there be any issue if I just deleted this class as well?

As I said, I know this isn't strictly speaking a Protege question but in the past when I send emails to people listed as contacts for things like this they often take a long time or never answer and I'm working on a deadline so if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.

FOAF.owl (65K) Download Attachment

Re: Errors loading FOAF into Protege

Hi Michael,

You’re correct about the use of certain property IRIs for both object property and data property IRIs.  Taking the first one in your list, foaf:aimChatID, this one is declared as a data property (and has a range of rdfs:Literal) but then it’s also specified as being inverse functional.  Inverse functional only applies to object properties in OWL (OWL2DL).  There’s therefore a foaf:aimChatID data property and foaf:aimChatID object property.  Strictly speaking, this kind of punning isn’t allowed in OWL2DL, although none of the tools that I know of (reasoners) will complain about this – the properties will just be treated as separate properties.  If you remove the inverse functional axiom then this particular property is no longer punned and is just a data property.

On 11 Apr 2018, at 09:33, Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael

Re: Errors loading FOAF into Protege

Dan Brickley-2

On 11 April 2018 at 10:58, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael,

You’re correct about the use of certain property IRIs for both object property and data property IRIs.  Taking the first one in your list, foaf:aimChatID, this one is declared as a data property (and has a range of rdfs:Literal) but then it’s also specified as being inverse functional.  Inverse functional only applies to object properties in OWL (OWL2DL).  There’s therefore a foaf:aimChatID data property and foaf:aimChatID object property.  Strictly speaking, this kind of punning isn’t allowed in OWL2DL, although none of the tools that I know of (reasoners) will complain about this – the properties will just be treated as separate properties.  If you remove the inverse functional axiom then this particular property is no longer punned and is just a data property.

Yes, this is the problem. Protege is checking our schemas from an OWL DL perspective. FOAF predates OWL; we were an early adopter of the precursor DAML+OIL vocabulary, but the basic approach is that of RDF + RDFS. You can probably think of it as OWL Full if that helps. A lot of those properties are of purely historical interest these days anyway, AIM is long gone. FOAF was created when the Web was young, and data was generally self-published by technologically literate users. The world has changed substantially, and I'd suggest just dropping the IFP claims on these data-valued properties.

Dan

(FOAF ns maintainer)