Execution time of a SWRL rule or query

William Fitzgerald-3
Dear SWRL experts,

Does the SWRLTab have an option to show how long it takes a SWRL rule to execute?

I am running Protege 3.4.4 build 579

regards,
Will

Re: Execution time of a SWRL rule or query

Martin O'Connor
Do you mean an individual rule? In that case, no. It is not generally
possible to separately extract this information from most rule systems
due to the mechanisms they use to execute rules.

Martin

William Fitzgerald wrote:

> Dear SWRL experts,
>
> Does the SWRLTab have an option to show how long it takes a SWRL rule to execute?
>
> I am running Protege 3.4.4 build 579
>
> regards,
> Will

Re: Execution time of a SWRL rule or query

Rajverma
hi Martin,

is it possible then for the entire set of rules? if so, how?

cheers,
Raj

William Fitzgerald wrote:

> Dear SWRL experts,
>
> Does the SWRLTab have an option to show how long it takes a SWRL rule to execute?
>
> I am running Protege 3.4.4 build 579
>
> regards,
> Will

Re: Execution time of a SWRL rule or query

William Fitzgerald-3
Hi Martin, Raj,

Rule Execution:
+++++++++++++++
I wanted to be able to click on a single rule (or query) and run it to see how long it would take.
In this case, I would create only one swrl rule to overcome what Martin mentioned in his email.

I would also like to click on/activate a bunch of rules (or query's) so that all get executed to see
how long it takes.

I want to get a sense for the performance. For example, does executing a particular rule across say
100 ontology instances have much of a delay compared to running the same rule/rules over 10 instances.

Similarly, I would like to compare the "deep-swrl-rule inspection of instances" for want of a better
phrase. For example, an instance may have ten property relationships. Perhaps a swrl rule that
examines all properties for each instance might grow exponentially compared to only examining 2 of them.

I was hoping there was some hidden log files in protege that recorded this info.

Adding Timers:
++++++++++++++
You might have seen my previous email regarding my eclipse swrl woes.
I was thinking I could add crude timers (seconds rather than micro second intervals) into the SWRL
code somewhere (I am not sure yet where) to provide some crude sense of the practicality of using
SWRL (which ultimately relies on the performance of jess).

For example:
final long startTime = System.nanoTime(); //does not have to be this granular!
final long endTime;
try {
  someSWRLMethodToTime();
} finally {
  endTime = System.nanoTime();
}
final long duration = endTime - startTime;

I'm having no luck getting the SWRLTab to work in eclipse even though the jess.jar is in the
classpath. I am now going to try and install windows XP or Vista as a virtual machine and try doing
it in this environment as perhaps the Ubuntu environment is some how defective.

Last resort:
++++++++++++
Use a stop watch and manually time from when I press the SWRL rule button to the time the results
are dumped back out. Much more crude than adding the timer to SWRL code I referred to above, but
none the less, it would provide me with some sort of results ;-)

All comments are welcome,
Will.

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> hi Martin,
>
> is it possible then for the entire set of rules? if so, how?
>
> cheers,
> Raj

I can add some timing information to the SWRLJessTab GUI console for the
next release.

Martin

Martin O'Connor wrote:
> I can add some timing information to the SWRLJessTab GUI console for the
> next release.

Fantastic. Perhaps it could be a tick box scenario, to provide the option to tick or un-tick the
activation of execution times.

I welcome your suggestion.

Many thanks,
Will.