Expected result when saving inferred hierarchy?

Expected result when saving inferred hierarchy?

Almut Herzog
Hi,

I am unsure of what to expect from the "Save inferred version as file.."
button. Any pointers to any documentation would be most welcome.

I have two ontologies A.owl with classes A1, A2 etc and B.owl with
classes B1, B2 etc.
B.owl imports A.owl. This works fine and
in the inferred view I can e.g. see that A1 is subclass of B1.

When I save the inferred model to file inf.owl, it is similar to B.owl
but without the restrictions on the B.owl classes. And I do not see that
A1 is subclass of B1.

I was hoping to receive a file that could be useful for the times when a
reasoner is not available or to shortcut a lengthy classification. Isn't
that the idea? Is the import the hinder?

Best regards,
/Almut

Re: Expected result when saving inferred hierarchy?

Nick Drummond
Almut,

You are right - it is the import that is causing the problem - we
currently have a bug on this [1]

I haven't checked it, but have you tried activating each ontology in
turn and saving separately?

Let me know if this works.

Nick

[1] http://www.co-ode.org/mantis/view.php?id=258

Nick Drummond wrote:
> Almut,
>
> You are right - it is the import that is causing the problem - we
> currently have a bug on this [1]
>
> I haven't checked it, but have you tried activating each ontology in
> turn and saving separately?

Now I have tested.
When B was activated, the result was as described in my first mail ---
no surprise.
When I activated A (a big ontology), classified and saved the inferred
hierarchy only the AllDifferent statements remained, all classes were
gone. Sounds like an issue that was up for discussion a while ago that
files get truncated when switching active ontologies, but here I saved
the inferred hierarchy after a switch. ???

Now, my original e-mail complained about Protege 3.2 but to test your
suggestion I had to go back to 3.1.1 (in which both ontologies where
originally created) because I had no way to tell Protege 3.2 where the
local file for the A ontology was located and I did not want to risk
destroying B by removing and importing A (the classes of B make use of
classes from A). Could be an additional difficulty. Was there a way to
migrate the 3.1.1 ont-policy.rdf to 3.2? A copy was ignored.

/Almut