Expressing equivalence in Protege

Clarissa Feio
Hello,

This is what I would like to say in Protege:

How can I do this?

Is the only way to do it to create a new class, and say that this new class is equivalent to ( gaseous environmental material and 'has role' some greenhouse gas )? Or is there another way?

Thanks in advance for helping!

Kind regards,
Clarissa.

image.png

--

If you operate in Great Britain, sign up for free access to the latest COVID-19 regulation updates.

For other countries, check our live blog for COVID-19 regulation updates and act faster.

Libryo has also shared tips on how to successfully work remotely - Read: Work in the time of Coronavirus - Learnings from 4 years being remote  for business to business advice.

Hello. This email is only for the person it’s addressed to. However, if this email wasn’t addressed to you and you are reading it, then this notice is for you, so please read on. Please delete this email, including its contents and attachments from all of your devices and cloud services and let the sender know. Also, you may not use, rely on or benefit from the information contained in this email in any way and must treat it confidentially. Thank you.

Re: Expressing equivalence in Protege

Michael DeBellis-2
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do but I think SWRL might be something worth looking at. I'm going to simplify some of your term names. If you are trying to say that if a Gas hasRole GreenHouseGas then that Gas is a causalAgentInProcess ClimateChange (where causalAgentInProcess is a property and ClimateChange is an Individual). You could do that with SWRL:

Gas(?g) ^ hasRole(?g, GreenHouseGas) -> causalAgentInProcess(ClimateChange, ?g)

This says that if ?g is an instance of class Gas and if it's hasRole property has the value GreenHouseGas then a value for the property causalAgentInProcess for the Individual ClimateChange is ?g. Note, that if you want your gasses to also be classes you could still do this with Punning.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:43 AM Clarissa Feio <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

samsontu
I think it’s better to write a general class axiom.

If you don’t have the "General class axioms” view in your UI, go to Window/Views/Class/"General class axioms” to add the view to one of your tabs.

You can write in the "General class axioms” view (using my preferred naming convention):

(GaseousEnvironmentalMaterial and (hasRole some GreenHouseGas)) SubClassOf isCausalAgentInProcess some ClimateChange

That is, if a GaseousEnvironmentalMaterial plays the role of a GreenHouseGas, then it’s necessarily something that is a causal agent in a ClimateChange process. (Climate change is made up of many different processes.)

With best regards,
Samson

On Mar 25, 2020, at 10:58 AM, Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Note that I am not assuming that (GaseousEnvironmentalMaterial and (hasRole some GreenHouseGas)) is equivalent to (isCausalAgentInProcess some ClimateChange), as there may be other causal agents of climate change. If you really want to express their equivalence, then use EquivalentTo instead of SubClassOf in the axiom.

With best regards,
Samson

On Mar 25, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear all,

You have been very helpful, thank you so much. I will explore the options you suggest.

Kind regards,
Clarissa.