Extracting a sub-class

Maite Meseure Hugues
Hi everyone,

I have loaded the SnomedCT ontology into Protégé and my goal is to make a new ontology from that, a lighter version, basically extracting a specific sub-class and its dependents.
I googled it but couldn't find a clean method that suits to my needs.
Could you guide me to the good direction?
Thank you,

Maite

Re: Extracting a sub-class

Jean-Marc Vanel
Maïté,

you can do that easily with a SPARQL query,
something like

?SUBCLASS rdfs:subClassOf+ <theSuperClassIWant> .

using recursive SPARQL path ; see for example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41847065/recursion-in-sparql-rdf

Hi everyone,

I have loaded the SnomedCT ontology into Protégé and my goal is to make a new ontology from that, a lighter version, basically extracting a specific sub-class and its dependents.
I googled it but couldn't find a clean method that suits to my needs.
Could you guide me to the good direction?
Thank you,

Maite

Jean-Marc Vanel
http://www.semantic-forms.cc:9111/display?displayuri=http://jmvanel.free.fr/jmv.rdf%23me
Déductions SARL - Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52
Twitter: @jmvanel , @jmvanel_fr ; chat: irc://irc.freenode.net#eulergui

Re: Extracting a sub-class

Chris Mungall-2
You can do this on the command line using ROBOT:
https://github.com/ontodev/robot/

For extracting sub-ontologies you can use different methods such as the
OWLAPI Syntactic Locality Module Extraction code or MIREOT:
https://github.com/ontodev/robot/blob/master/examples/README.md#extracting

On 27 Apr 2017, at 8:17, Maite Meseure Hugues wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have loaded the SnomedCT ontology into Protégé and my goal is to
> make a
> new ontology from that, a lighter version, basically extracting a
> specific
> sub-class and its dependents.
> I googled it but couldn't find a clean method that suits to my needs.
> Could you guide me to the good direction?
> Thank you,
>
> Maite

Re: Extracting a sub-class

That won't work for complex OWL class expressions

[...]

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Extracting a sub-class

Michael Osborne
Hello Maite
   I would be very careful about creating derivatives of SNOMED CT. Pay close attention to the affiliate licence section 3. I have included some of it here.

EXTENSIONS AND DERIVATIVES
3.1 The Licensee may not create any Standards-Based Extension or any Standards
Based Derivative unless it has first been issued with a Namespace Identifier by or
on behalf of the Licensor.
3.2 The Licensee may request that the Licensor issue it with a Namespace Identifier,
and the Licensor shall not unreasonably refuse to do so taking into account
amongst other things quality assurance, governance processes, Standards and
Regulations.
3.3 The Licensee shall ensure that all Standards-Based Extensions and Standards Based
Derivatives that the Licensee creates under this License Agreement are created in
accordance with, and comply with, all applicable Standards (including, without
limitation, as to the use of Namespace Identifiers).
3.4 Subject to clauses 3.5 and 3.6, the Licensee shall own all Intellectual Property
Rights in all Extensions and Derivatives that the Licensee creates under this License
Agreement. The Licensee may not assign or otherwise transfer those Intellectual
Property Rights to any other person unless (i) that person is an Affiliate and, in the
case of Standards-Based Extensions or Standards-Based Derivatives, has a
Namespace Identifier; and (ii) the transfer is notified in writing to the Licensor
within thirty (30) days after the transfer.
3.5 The Licensee shall, if requested by the Licensor, transfer to the Licensor or a
Member nominated by the Licensor all of its Intellectual Property Rights in such
Standards-Based Extensions (or parts thereof) as the Licensor may specify.

If you are sure you won't violate the license, then you might be able to use Harold Solbrig's
tools to turn the international release (or fragments there-of) into OWL2 functional statements.