FaCT++ has stopped working

Simon Reeve
Dear Protege,

I have recently accepted an auto-update for FaCT++, and the reasoner
has since stopped working. I am using version 4.0 (build 113), which
states that I currently have installed FaCT++ version 1.4 and build 0.
can you help?

Best regards, and thanks in advance

Simon

--------
Simon Reeve, PhD
Curator / Ontologist
FlyBase / Virtual Fly Brain
Department of Genetics,
University of Cambridge,
Downing Street,
Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1223 333 963
Fax: +44 (0)1223 766 732

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Alan Ruttenberg-2
I have had trouble working with it working under java 1.6. See if
running it under 1.5 works. A java 1.5 compiled plugin is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4905123/uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar
-Alan

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Simon Reeve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Protege,
>
> I have recently accepted an auto-update for FaCT++, and the reasoner has
> since stopped working. I am using version 4.0 (build 113), which states that
> I currently have installed FaCT++ version 1.4 and build 0. can you help?
>
> Best regards, and thanks in advance
>
> Simon
>

> --------
> Simon Reeve, PhD
> Curator / Ontologist
> FlyBase / Virtual Fly Brain
> Department of Genetics,
> University of Cambridge,
> Downing Street,
> Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
> Tel: +44 (0)1223 333 963
> Fax: +44 (0)1223 766 732

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

David Osumi-Sutherland
Hi all,

I've just replicated this with 4.0.2 under java 1.5.  The version of
FaCT++ that comes with 4.0.2 works fine.  But if I follow the update
prompt and install FaCT++ 1.4 build 0, then reasoning fails.   STDERR
attached.

- David

On 4 May 2010, at 13:41, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> I have had trouble working with it working under java 1.6. See if
> running it under 1.5 works. A java 1.5 compiled plugin is here:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4905123/uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar
> -Alan
>

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Simon Reeve <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Dear Protege,
>>
>> I have recently accepted an auto-update for FaCT++, and the
>> reasoner has
>> since stopped working. I am using version 4.0 (build 113), which
>> states that
>> I currently have installed FaCT++ version 1.4 and build 0. can you
>> help?
>>
>> Best regards, and thanks in advance
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> --------
>> Simon Reeve, PhD
>> Curator / Ontologist
>> FlyBase / Virtual Fly Brain
>> Department of Genetics,
>> University of Cambridge,
>> Downing Street,
>> Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
>> Tel: +44 (0)1223 333 963
>> Fax: +44 (0)1223 766 732

p4_fact_1.4_error_log (6K) Download Attachment

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Alan Ruttenberg-2
That's an error that says that you are trying to use a java 1.6 class
file with java 1.5. Did you try with the plugin I pointed to in my
last email?
-Alan

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM, David Osumi-Sutherland
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just replicated this with 4.0.2 under java 1.5.  The version of FaCT++
> that comes with 4.0.2 works fine.  But if I follow the update prompt and
> install FaCT++ 1.4 build 0, then reasoning fails.   STDERR attached.
>
> - David
>
> On 4 May 2010, at 13:41, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> I have had trouble working with it working under java 1.6. See if
>> running it under 1.5 works. A java 1.5 compiled plugin is here:
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4905123/uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar
>> -Alan
>>

>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Simon Reeve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Protege,
>>>
>>> I have recently accepted an auto-update for FaCT++, and the reasoner has
>>> since stopped working. I am using version 4.0 (build 113), which states
>>> that
>>> I currently have installed FaCT++ version 1.4 and build 0. can you help?
>>>
>>> Best regards, and thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>>> --------
>>> Simon Reeve, PhD
>>> Curator / Ontologist
>>> FlyBase / Virtual Fly Brain
>>> Department of Genetics,
>>> University of Cambridge,
>>> Downing Street,
>>> Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
>>> Tel: +44 (0)1223 333 963
>>> Fax: +44 (0)1223 766 732

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Timothy Redmond
On 05/04/2010 04:22 AM, Simon Reeve wrote:
Dear Protege,

I have recently accepted an auto-update for FaCT++, and the reasoner has since stopped working. I am using version 4.0 (build 113), which states that I currently have installed FaCT++ version 1.4 and build 0. can you help?

I set up the FaCT++ auto-update for Dmitry and it is possible that I did it incorrectly.

But my top guess is that this is something minor with the FaCT++ manifest.  Could you send your platform information which shows up on the Java console:

Starting Protege 4 OWL Editor (Version 4.1.0, Build = 102)
Platform:
    Java: JVM 1.6.0_17-b04 Memory: 466M
    Language: en, Country: US
    Framework: Apache Software Foundation (1.5)
    OS: linux (2.6.32-21-generic)
    Processor: x86-64

I would also like to know more about what error you are seeing.  You may have an exception on the console or in the red triangle in the upper right. My guess (which is why I wanted the platform information) is that you are seeing a variation of the following error:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [14]: Native library does not exist: lib/native/64bit/libFaCTPlusPlusJNI.so

There are a couple of other variations on this.

-Timothy

On 4 May 2010, at 4/May/2010 16:13:45, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> That's an error that says that you are trying to use a java 1.6 class
> file with java 1.5. Did you try with the plugin I pointed to in my
> last email?

Yep.  Just replaced the FaCT++ jar in plugins with yours.  The result
is that FaCT++ just doesn't show up in the reasoner menu.

Having looked at the log during loading, I'm rather confused about
what 's going on with Java versions here:

Starting Protege 4 OWL Editor (Version 4.0.115)
Platform:
     Java: JVM 1.6.0_17-b04-248-9M3125 Memory: 206M
      Language: en, Country: US
      Framework: Eclipse (1.5.0)
      OS: MacOSX (10.5.8)
      Processor: x86-64

This surprised me, as my system Java is set to 1.5 not 1.6.  Note -
the installer doesn't give me a choice of Java - the step is skipped.

I'm confused,

David

> -Alan
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM, David Osumi-Sutherland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just replicated this with 4.0.2 under java 1.5.  The version
>> of FaCT++
>> that comes with 4.0.2 works fine.  But if I follow the update
>> prompt and
>> install FaCT++ 1.4 build 0, then reasoning fails.   STDERR attached.
>>
>> - David
>>
>> On 4 May 2010, at 13:41, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>>
>>> I have had trouble working with it working under java 1.6. See if
>>> running it under 1.5 works. A java 1.5 compiled plugin is here:
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4905123/uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar
>>> -Alan

David Osumi-Sutherland, PhD
Curator/ Ontologist
FlyBase / Virtual Fly Brain
Department of Genetics,
University of Cambridge,
Downing Street,
Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1223 333 963
Fax: +44 (0)1223 766 732

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Timothy Redmond
On 05/05/2010 07:31 AM, David Osumi-Sutherland wrote:

> On 4 May 2010, at 4/May/2010 16:13:45, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> That's an error that says that you are trying to use a java 1.6 class
>> file with java 1.5. Did you try with the plugin I pointed to in my
>> last email?
>
> Yep.  Just replaced the FaCT++ jar in plugins with yours.  The result
> is that FaCT++ just doesn't show up in the reasoner menu.
>
> Having looked at the log during loading, I'm rather confused about
> what 's going on with Java versions here:
>
> Starting Protege 4 OWL Editor (Version 4.0.115)
> Platform:
>     Java: JVM 1.6.0_17-b04-248-9M3125 Memory: 206M
>      Language: en, Country: US
>      Framework: Eclipse (1.5.0)
>      OS: MacOSX (10.5.8)
>      Processor: x86-64

Yes - your processor is not listed in the manifest.  This is easily
fixed - especially with how Dmitry is packaging the manifest.  I am not
exactly sure how he did that but it is nice.  I will try sending you a
copy out of line that should work better.

You should be seeing an exception in your console.  I think that on the
mac the console application shows this information but the console data
also shows up in the latest log file in the ~/.Protege/logs directory.
I just noticed that there is no red triangle in the upper right hand
corner for this exception.  There should be and I will fix that.

-Timothy

> This surprised me, as my system Java is set to 1.5 not 1.6.  Note -
> the installer doesn't give me a choice of Java - the step is skipped.
>
> I'm confused,
>
> David
>> -Alan
>>
>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM, David Osumi-Sutherland
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've just replicated this with 4.0.2 under java 1.5.  The version of
>>> FaCT++
>>> that comes with 4.0.2 works fine.  But if I follow the update prompt
>>> and
>>> install FaCT++ 1.4 build 0, then reasoning fails.   STDERR attached.
>>>
>>> - David

> David Osumi-Sutherland, PhD
> Curator/ Ontologist
> FlyBase / Virtual Fly Brain
> Department of Genetics,
> University of Cambridge,
> Downing Street,
> Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
> Tel: +44 (0)1223 333 963
> Fax: +44 (0)1223 766 732

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Ronald Cornet
Am I correct that the 64-bit version is missing (for Linux)?
It can't find lib/native/64bit/libFaCTPlusPlusJNI.so

Ronald

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Timothy Redmond
On 05/05/2010 09:27 AM, Ronald Cornet wrote:
> Am I correct that the 64-bit version is missing (for Linux)?
> It can't find lib/native/64bit/libFaCTPlusPlusJNI.so

This is correct and has been reported back to the developers.  (I too
have 64-bit linux!)

-Timothy

> Ronald

Re: FaCT++ has stopped working

Timothy Redmond

So my impression is that the summary of this thread so far is that
  • the x86-64 processor are missing in the manifest for os x (David Osumi-Sutherland) and linux (Ronald Cornet and me),
  • the 64 bit dynamic libraries are missing for linux (Ronald Cornet and me) and
  • FaCT++ is compiled with java 6 (Alan Ruttenberg).
I am not sure if we got a diagnosis for the originator of this thread (Simon Reeve).  Does this sound right?  I will forward this to the developers.

-Timothy