Feature request

Daniel Elenius
When importing an ontology, a message pops up showing all the ontologies
that are being imported. That's all fine. But there also appear a number
of "Running OWLJavaFactoryUpdater" messages (with progress bars).
Sometimes I get about ten of these. I would suggest getting rid of them,
on the grouns that:

1) They convey no information whatsoever.
2) They obscure the real information...
3) ... especially since there is no scrollbar on this information
window, so if there are many of these messages, the window can get
higher than the screen height, and I become unable to see the
information at the bottom of the window.

Daniel

Re: Feature request

Matthew Horridge
Daniel,

> When importing an ontology, a message pops up showing all the
> ontologies that are being imported. That's all fine. But there also
> appear a number of "Running OWLJavaFactoryUpdater" messages (with
> progress bars). Sometimes I get about ten of these. I would suggest
> getting rid of them, on the grouns that:
>
> 1) They convey no information whatsoever.
> 2) They obscure the real information...
> 3) ... especially since there is no scrollbar on this information
> window, so if there are many of these messages, the window can get
> higher than the screen height, and I become unable to see the
> information at the bottom of the window.

For loading very large ontologies, the OWLJavaFactory updater can
seem to take for ever, which is why I added a progress display for
it.  I've never seen more that one OWLJavaProgressDisplay, so it
sounds like a bug.  Anyway - I think I'll get rid of it as you suggest.

I think I might get rid of this progress display all together.  What
do other people think?

Re: Feature request

Daniel Elenius
Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Daniel,
>
>> When importing an ontology, a message pops up showing all the
>> ontologies that are being imported. That's all fine. But there also
>> appear a number of "Running OWLJavaFactoryUpdater" messages (with
>> progress bars). Sometimes I get about ten of these. I would suggest
>> getting rid of them, on the grouns that:
>>
>> 1) They convey no information whatsoever.
>> 2) They obscure the real information...
>> 3) ... especially since there is no scrollbar on this information
>> window, so if there are many of these messages, the window can get
>> higher than the screen height, and I become unable to see the
>> information at the bottom of the window.
>
> For loading very large ontologies, the OWLJavaFactory updater can seem
> to take for ever, which is why I added a progress display for it.
> I've never seen more that one OWLJavaProgressDisplay, so it sounds
> like a bug.  Anyway - I think I'll get rid of it as you suggest.
>
> I think I might get rid of this progress display all together.  What
> do other people think?

There should be something telling you that protege is doing something
(without having to look at the console). Just one progress display which
actually stays visible until everything is fully loaded would be good
(the current displays don't).

> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Re: Feature request

Matthew Horridge

On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:25, Daniel Elenius wrote:

> Matthew Horridge wrote:
>> Daniel,
>>
>>> When importing an ontology, a message pops up showing all the
>>> ontologies that are being imported. That's all fine. But there
>>> also appear a number of "Running OWLJavaFactoryUpdater" messages
>>> (with progress bars). Sometimes I get about ten of these. I would
>>> suggest getting rid of them, on the grouns that:
>>>
>>> 1) They convey no information whatsoever.
>>> 2) They obscure the real information...
>>> 3) ... especially since there is no scrollbar on this information
>>> window, so if there are many of these messages, the window can
>>> get higher than the screen height, and I become unable to see the
>>> information at the bottom of the window.
>>
>> For loading very large ontologies, the OWLJavaFactory updater can
>> seem to take for ever, which is why I added a progress display for
>> it.  I've never seen more that one OWLJavaProgressDisplay, so it
>> sounds like a bug.  Anyway - I think I'll get rid of it as you
>> suggest.
>>
>> I think I might get rid of this progress display all together.
>> What do other people think?
>>
> There should be something telling you that protege is doing
> something (without having to look at the console). Just one
> progress display which actually stays visible until everything is
> fully loaded would be good (the current displays don't).

o.k. thanks for the suggestion. Can you clarify what you mean when
you say "the current displays don't".

Matthew

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matthew

Re: Feature request

Bellave Jayaram
I vote for removing the progress display. Instead, there could be a message
in the console window with periods every so often to indicate progress.

Jayaram

Matthew Horridge wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:25, Daniel Elenius wrote:
>
>> Matthew Horridge wrote:
>>> Daniel,

>>> For loading very large ontologies, the OWLJavaFactory updater can
>>> seem to take for ever, which is why I added a progress display for
>>> it.  I've never seen more that one OWLJavaProgressDisplay, so it
>>> sounds like a bug.  Anyway - I think I'll get rid of it as you suggest.
>>>
>>> I think I might get rid of this progress display all together.  What
>>> do other people think?
>>>
>> There should be something telling you that protege is doing something
>> (without having to look at the console). Just one progress display
>> which actually stays visible until everything is fully loaded would
>> be good (the current displays don't).
>>

> o.k. thanks for the suggestion. Can you clarify what you mean when you
> say "the current displays don't".

They don't stay visible until the loading is complete.

> Matthew
>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Matthew

Feature request for installation

Ronnie Valkky

It would save time if a new Protege OWL installation could save user's
settings i.e. data =
now it over writes them without asking.

First step:
It could save/rename/leave unmodified(if there are no changes to previous
version)
the previous Protege.lax file, which may contain user changes to tune speed
and resource allocation.

cheers
Ronnie

Re: Feature request

Matthew Horridge

On 15 Feb 2006, at 17:12, Daniel Elenius wrote:

> Matthew Horridge wrote:

>>> There should be something telling you that protege is doing
>>> something (without having to look at the console). Just one
>>> progress display which actually stays visible until everything is
>>> fully loaded would be good (the current displays don't).
>>>

>> o.k. thanks for the suggestion. Can you clarify what you mean when
>> you say "the current displays don't".
>>
> They don't stay visible until the loading is complete.

Ah right - that's because it takes an eternity to load the UI.  These
progress dialogs should probably be in the core system anyway.

>> Matthew

Re: Feature request for installation

Matthew Horridge
Hi Ronnie,

The installation process is governed by the core protege installer -
not Protege-OWL.  Please could you send your request to the Protege
list.

Matthew

> It would save time if a new Protege OWL installation could save user's
> settings i.e. data =
> now it over writes them without asking.
>
> First step:
> It could save/rename/leave unmodified(if there are no changes to
> previous
> version)
> the previous Protege.lax file, which may contain user changes to
> tune speed
> and resource allocation.
>
> cheers
> Ronnie

Re: Feature request

Daniel Elenius
Matthew Horridge wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2006, at 17:12, Daniel Elenius wrote:
>
>> Matthew Horridge wrote:

>>> o.k. thanks for the suggestion. Can you clarify what you mean when
>>> you say "the current displays don't".
>>>
>> They don't stay visible until the loading is complete.
>
> Ah right - that's because it takes an eternity to load the UI.  These
> progress dialogs should probably be in the core system anyway.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Speaking of which, why is the UI so damn slow!? ;)

>>> Matthew

Re: Feature request for installation

samsontu

protege.lax being overwritten is a long-standing problem. My
conversation with Ray Fergerson in the past gave me the impression that
this is a property of the commercial installer over which we have no
control. We talked a possible work-around (making it easy for users to
set these parameters from within Protege), but he left before
implementing it.

I keep a separately named protege.lax file and copy it over the
installed one each time I install a new version of Protege.

Samson

--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/

Re: Feature request

Mark Feblowitz
The progress display is not a bad thing. It just shouldn't spin away
while user input is being requested. One could ignore the animation,
but I suspect it makes just about everybody feel intense pressure to
"Fill in a value quick!"

But having it there and active while Protege is doing something is
not a bad idea.

Mark