Find and changa an Individual in a .owl file

Find and changa an Individual in a .owl file

Andre Luiz Tietbohl Ramos
Hello,

I do have an Individual (own#real) that does not exist in my ontology (it is not shown in Protegé's Indivuduals tab) but exists according to the reasoner (FACT++).  The only similar Individual I have is called Real (notice the CAPS).  I cannot use a DL SELECT command either because the reasoner complies about this issue. Thus, I opened the .owl file and found several owl#real occurrences. My question is: can i simply change real by Real in the .owl file with no side affects?

TIA,

Andre Luiz

Version: 4.1
OS: ubuntu 13.10

Re: Find and changa an Individual in a .owl file

Timothy Redmond

Hello,

My guess is that with a little more detail we will be able to quickly figure this out.  First, if possible it would be nice to see the ontology.

I do have an Individual (own#real)

What is the full name of this individual?  If for example, you meant that the name is owl:real so that the full name is

http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#real

then this is probably the source of your problem.  Using reserved names (such as the names of datatypes) for your own use can lead to ambiguous parsing by different owl parsers.  It is possible that the parser used by FaCT++ generated a different in memory version of your ontology than the Protege parser did.  It may be a bit tricky to tell by looking at the rdf what the full name of the resource is.

that does not exist in my ontology (it is not shown in Protegé's Indivuduals tab) but exists according to the reasoner (FACT++).

By what means did FaCT++ tell you that the individual exists.  Did you run FaCT++ from the command line or otherwise?  This may not be important if my guess about your ontology is correct.

The only similar Individual I have is called Real (notice the CAPS).  I cannot use a DL SELECT command either because the reasoner complies about this issue. Thus, I opened the .owl file and found several owl#real occurrences. My question is: can i simply change real by Real in the .owl file with no side affects?

This may have to be done carefully.  If the name of the "individual" in question is

 	http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#real

then some of these references may represent the real datatype.  You would want to only change those that occur as the individual.  You should also at some point (maybe after getting this ontology to parse in Protege as you expect it) change the namespace of these individuals so that they are not in the owl: namespace.

Version: 4.1

If by this you mean Protege 4.1, I would recommend that you upgrade to Protege 4.2 if you can.

-Timothy

TIA,

Andre Luiz

Version: 4.1